Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Camping in Wicklow Mountain National Park

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello there,
    First time poster here, myself and a few friends are heading up to the Wicklow national park this weekend, as I've read you can legally do some wild camping there. We were thinking of taking the 185 bus to powerscourt and moving out once we get there, as I know that area is privately owned. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to decent places to camp in walking distance of the Powerscourt gates.. I've never been myself and any advice would be appreciated. Also, we fully intend to leave the area as we found it, carrying our rubbish out and not lighting fires etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Well, what's walking distance for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shehulk

Anywhere within an hour and a half walk I suppose, so within 7km of the gates

Shehulk wrote: »
    Anywhere within an hour and a half walk I suppose, so within 7km of the gates

Well, the nearest place you can legally wild camp in the WMNP is over twice that distance, but if you're not stuck on the WMNP and legality, then many people camp by the river in the Knockree valley, which is about three kilometers from the last stop on the 185 (that's Shop River, not the gates of Powerscourt.

It's a very nice spot, and very popular with campers, but it's private and camping isn't really allowed, although I've never heard of anyone enforcing it.

The legality thing is only really an issue if it's going to cause a problem with some authority or other looking to move us on in the middle of the night, so in this case, your suggestion sounds perfect. Thanks for the help, I'll definitely look into it.

Actually would you have any coordinates for the area around the river there? I can't find it on the map, other than knockree hostel and I imagine camping too close to there is a bad idea

• Advertisement

Shehulk wrote: »
    Actually would you have any coordinates for the area around the river there? I can't find it on the map, other than knockree hostel and I imagine camping too close to there is a bad idea

Here.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

hows trooperstown these days havent been there in ages thinking of going back this weekends for a nose around

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

coach23 wrote: »
    hows trooperstown these days havent been there in ages thinking of going back this weekends for a nose around

I live near enough to there........ I wouldnt go there to camp in a million years :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

went up to trooperstown for a walk friday....such a shame. Found what would be some great places to set up...that had been ruined and the ground left scarred, did my best to fix it but it'll take a while for the ground to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Hi there, just to let you know - there is no camping in the fields below knockree Youth hostel - it is clearly marked with signs telling you and the landowner is now patrolling the valley with security guards. It's a waste of time turning up anywhere near the youth hostel or crone woods - you will just be run out of it - and if you don't go - the guards are called and they make you pack up and leave even in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Magic Star wrote: »
    Hi there, just to let you know - there is no camping in the fields below knockree Youth hostel - it is clearly marked with signs telling you and the landowner is now patrolling the valley with security guards. It's a waste of time turning up anywhere near the youth hostel or crone woods - you will just be run out of it - and if you don't go - the guards are called and they make you pack up and leave even in the middle of the night.

With respect, if you're getting caught in the dark of night you must be running a rave or something. What you guys need is to learn the gentle art of 'sneaky camping' . Late set up, early out and no open fires if you can't conceal them from view. With the right gear you can have a comfy and restful night in fairly popular locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magic Star

Tabnabs wrote: »
    With respect, if you're getting caught in the dark of night you must be running a rave or something. What you guys need is to learn the gentle art of 'sneaky camping' . Late set up, early out and no open fires if you can't conceal them from view. With the right gear you can have a comfy and restful night in fairly popular locations.

Hi tabnabs,

I am a responsible wild camper and have spent many happy years in the wicklow hills. I just wanted to point out that the land there is privately owned and that camping there now is considered trespassing.

Where signs are up to tell you it is privately owned and No Camping I wouldn't dream of infringing upon other peoples rights when it comes to their land. The landowners there are the local youth hostel and they have worked very hard at trying to arrest the anti-social behaviour in their valley and in this I support them.

Leave no trace. . . . . .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

On private land of course, but you also talked about Crone Woods which is public land (http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=54&trail=26&no_cache=1). In the event of wanting to wild camp in this popular location then sneaky camping tactics could be most useful to avoid the louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    On private land of course, but you also talked about Crone Woods which is public land (http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=54&trail=26&no_cache=1). In the event of wanting to wild camp in this popular location then sneaky camping tactics could be most useful to avoid the louts.
    What about the top of Powerscourt Waterfall?
    It's remote enough that you shouldn't be disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gillo wrote: »
    What about the top of Powerscourt Waterfall?
    It's remote enough that you shouldn't be disturbed.
    How to get there easily though? :D

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

Walk. It's only a few km from the carpark,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Donny5 wrote: »
    Esel wrote: »

Walk. It's only a few km from the carpark,
    Theres a track up from Crone Wood carpark, a shorter route would be through the gate at Powerscourt although from experience (years ago) you may have to pay in & could get a few questions about where you are heading with large pack so late as they won't let you camp on their ground. There used to be one guy on the gate who was a right knob.

Once you are in the gate of Powerscourt follow the road, you'll need to break off to the right at some stage up a steep slope, you should eventually hit a track, follow the track and you'll hit a nice site.
    It's a few years since I've done this so trying to remember, check a map yourself to be sure. I'll post the GR this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 imateapot

I'd bet any money that magic star is the hostel owner not a camper at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If you're prepared to make a bit of effort and expend a bit of sweat, which it sounds like you would... plenty of places to camp discretely up in the hills. You main need is for water, so look along any of the mountain streams on south side of Glencree valley, above the forestry. Usually you'll a nice grassy, reasonably level spot without too much difficulty. That's part of the beauty of mountain camping, finding a nice wee spot, spend the night there and move on next day, aiming to leave it so no one would know anyone was ever there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

often saw people camped here

I see this has been bumped from a while ago....

• Advertisement
Advertisement