Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new tax set up for commercials

Options
  • 30-08-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi im driving a van at the moment and hav commercial tax. Bought van in 09 so just had to renew tax this yr no questions asked. Im tinking of changing now for a newer year but is there something that if you change veichle you hav to submit all this new data there looking for for tax. Im not a tradesman,van is for shootin and fishing and the likes. Im in kilkenny wheather that makes a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Van taxed as goods are for work only.
    Fishin an shootin should be taxed for private use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

fiestaman wrote: »
    Hi im driving a van at the moment and hav commercial tax. Bought van in 09 so just had to renew tax this yr no questions asked. Im tinking of changing now for a newer year but is there something that if you change veichle you hav to submit all this new data there looking for for tax. Im not a tradesman,van is for shootin and fishing and the likes. Im in kilkenny wheather that makes a difference.

To answer your question and avoiding those high and mighty opinions you're going to get, Yes, you will have to prove trade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

You are on the wrong tax.

The net is closing, so maybe the next time you try to tax it they wont renew it as commercial tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

You just have to sign a form at a Garda station saying you "won't" use it for personal use.... Then drive on, I never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

You just have to sign a form at a Garda station saying you "won't" use it for personal use.... Then drive on, I never had a problem

No that is all changing now and you need to produce a VAT number.

Buy some hens and ducks, get a licence to sell eggs, hens and ducks are €15 a pop and the licence I believe is €30. Commercial tax and fresh eggs in the morning!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Stevegeraghty

I used to be self-employed,because of the nature of my business I wasn't allowed to charge vat, therefor I didn't have a vat no, not every self employed person has a vat no and because of that you don't need not to get tax, you might get the odd person behind the desk that doesn't know this but if you sat to speak to a supervisor and you have your Garda form your gravy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

killwill wrote: »
    No that is all changing now and you need to produce a VAT number.

Buy some hens and ducks, get a licence to sell eggs, hens and ducks are €15 a pop and the licence I believe is €30. Commercial tax and fresh eggs in the morning!!!!!

Thats a good idea, but does it technically mean you are not supposed to drive it for other purposes unrelated?
    I live in a semi d in suburbs but before this all came along had thought I wouldn't mind a small van instead of a car just for moving stuff around when it comes up the odd time.
    I know the tax is cheaper, but is commercial insurance cheaper??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Check with YOUR local motor tax office....each interrupt the law slightly differently....But if only for private use as you state then tax it private.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Advertisement