Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxfam Trailtrekker 2011

Options
  • 30-08-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I'm undertaking the Oxfam trailtrekker on September 10th and I was just wondering if anyone out there in the boards community has any helpful hints, tips or advice that they would be willing to part with?

Likewise, it would be great to hear from any other participants on how the training & preparation has gone!

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Done the Trailtrekker last year - great event, very well organised and a great feeling to have completed it as a team.

It's very tough and there was quite a high fallout rate last year with one particularly nasty stretch over quite rough terrain accounting for quite a few people. I think the route may be changed this year though.

I think there is a shortened 50km version available this year.

As regards advice, from a physical point of view, you really need to look after your feet - I believe the biggest cause of drop-outs were blisters. Bring plenty of blister plasters and tend to your feet at each stop. Change socks regularly. If you feel a blister forming, stop straight away and apply a plaster. I got round on one pair of shoes (Meindl Respond Cross- trainers http://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/product/084294/mdl-m-respond-xcr-olive-9.html?attribute=4152951) but I know some people brought several changes of footwear.

Also, bring what is recommended on the list. We took Neurofen+ thinking we wouldn't need them but in the end, we were counting down the intervals until we could take another to numb the legs!

Lastly, from a physical point of view, be sure to keep hydrated. All 4 of our team got round but one lad hit the wall at 50km and was ready to drop out. Turned out that he hadn't been taking in anywhere near enough fluids so a decent rest at that stop and some Dioralyte saw him sorted. You can also get hydration tablets to mix in with your water supply.

Once you have the feet and hydration sorted, the biggest challenge is the physchological one. Best advice I can give is to break the challenge down into stages and take it literally one stage at a time. Try to stay positive as a team as different team members will struggle at different times. One member of our team was great at coming up with word games and suchlike during the night shift which kept us all in good spirits.

Other that that. Bring a decent torch and a change of batteries. Bring waterproofs. Lighten the load as much as possible by only carrying essentials from one stop to the next.

Probably left out a load and I am sure others will have more to offer. Whatever else happens, enjoy it. Part of me would love to do it again whilst another part shudders at the thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Minister B

Great reply Paul, much appreciated.

I’m looking forward to the challenge and everything that it’s going to bring with it but I’m trying to find out as much as possible about it in advance.

I’m not planning on bringing walking sticks would you recommended them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Minister B wrote: »

I’m looking forward to the challenge and everything that it’s going to bring with it but I’m trying to find out as much as possible about it in advance.

Didn't use them myself but then I don't use them even when out on the hills. Personally find them annoying. You can always throw a pair into your support vehicle and grab them if needs be - first stage last year was over pretty flat ground.

Oh, bring some camping chairs or something like that in your support car, can't beat lounging in one of those at 5 in the morning slugging on a bottle of lucozade and eating a chicken sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Minister B

paulocon wrote: »
    Minister B wrote: »

Didn't use them myself but then I don't use them even when out on the hills. Personally find them annoying. You can always throw a pair into your support vehicle and grab them if needs be - first stage last year was over pretty flat ground.

Oh, bring some camping chairs or something like that in your support car, can't beat lounging in one of those at 5 in the morning slugging on a bottle of lucozade and eating a chicken sandwich!

Yeah, same line of thinking as myself on the walking poles.

Thanks for the tip on the camping chair! It could be those little luxuries that get us through!!

Advertisement