Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing machine

Options
  • 30-08-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an affordable sewing machine , I'll probably just be using to to turn up jeans mainly, would pay up to 100 euro but less would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The main cost will be the strong jeans needles!

Any decent sewing machine will do that. You have a choice of a second hand one for about €60 - €100. Or a named brand one for around that. The more you pay the more power and possible quiter a new machine will be. This could be an issue if you need to stay quite while sewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Thanks for the reply wmpdd3

I've been looking at Singer machines on Amazon only because they're the only brand I've really heard of (I've never actually used one but I'm hoping I'll get the hang of it :D)

Well firstly I should mention that I've short legs and I turn up pretty much all my jeans. I'm pretty good at sewing but I've never felt the need to sew the hems, Wondaweb has always done the job fine (could save you €95, if your heart's not set on the machine).

As for the machine, I'd swear by Singer. I use my mother's which has lasted her decades and can tackle pretty much anything, despite being a simpler type machine (it's done everything from upholstery to curtains to clothes-making, even managed some fake leather).

If you're ever visiting Dublin, there's a small Singer shop on Talbot St. and a Bernina shop (Bernina is another reputable machine brand, although a nice simple Singer would probably suit better) on Parnell St. which you could have a poke around in.

As for the sewing itself, once you get the threading right it's a doddle.

true-or-false - oh yeah have used Wondaweb loads before but I always find after washing the jeans a few times the hem can come undone, maybe it's the way I do it!!! My sister lives in Dublin so I can get her to price machines in those shops thanks a million, I think I will go with Singer as I've always heard good things about that make.

The curse of having short legs! I rarely buy jeans which don't have to be turned up and where I get them done now cost 10 euro, I just got a pair turned up and she did them too short even though I tried them on for her and we discussed the length :mad:!!! Definitely going to get one anyway

There's a mini one in Aldi this Thursday for 20 euro, wonder would it be too light for jeans though

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_18036.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

If you go to any of the sewing machine shops they usually have new and second-hand models covering a wide range of prices. Usually the second-hand machines come at a decent price (most have a 6 month guarantee). At least if you buy a machine off a recognised sewing machine place you can bring it back to them for service/repairs. They usually take trade-ins if you want to upgrade to a better machine in a few years time. It might be the way to go if you want to get a sturdier machine for sewing jeans...

Don't know where you're based in Munster but there's two sewing machine places in Limerick - Singer in Foxes Bow Lane, Lena's in William Street. There's a sewing machine shop in Galway city as well. John O'Donnell in Waterford City (he also does free delivery nationwide). Think there might also be one in or near Castlemaine, Co. Kerry as well.

I'm actually in North Tipp so I can take a spin into Limerick for a look some weekend soon and I just checked and John O'Donnell has a Facebook page so I'll have a look there! Brilliant thanks MillyPenny

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

There's a fairly new looking, used machine going in the charity shop in Ballydehob for €50. It wasn't one of the big names though.

thanks Hoof Hearted, West Cork is a bit far from me though

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭KazM

Having used a treadle 'Singer-type' for most of my life - I can say I love them! But in need of a reliable machine, I have been trawling sources for a couple of weeks and not had any luck finding one. So I took a leap of faith and bought a new electric model from Argos - their own value range - and I'm delighted with it!

It's reference number is 460-2459 and costs €77.99 - It has a small selection of automated stitch patterns as well as the regular straight stitching - with a few attachments [which I haven't tried out yet] for doing buttonholes and sewing in zips.

Even though it is a fairly small and easily portable machine, it would be more than capable of handling jeans hemming and most other household projects I can think of.

When you first set it up - run through the choices of stitches, and tune in the tension using some scrap material - to work through the [very small] amount of lubrication that will have settled in the works. Always remove the needle from the material whilst moving from one stitch pattern to another.

Hope you get sorted whichever way to go.

• Advertisement

thanks for that very informative reply KazM much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Keep an eye out in Lidl and/or Aldi. they often have machines that are well under the hundred and do the job nicely. I've a friend who knew nothing about sewing machines and got one. Now she's making curtains, shortening trousers etc to beat the band. I've used her machine to see what it's like and was pleasantly surprised - I've a machine that cost me over 500 a couple of years ago, a Brother, with more stitches than you could need in two lifetimes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plainone

I would be cautious about buying a sewing machine from Lidl.I bought one at Lidl and it was faulty.I know someone else who also bought that sewing machine and her's had the exact same flaw in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I got a really nice machine through Freecycle...a wonderful woman had it sitting in her closet for a couple years & was happy to rehome it to me for free. It's an old machine (at least 25 years) but imo those tend to be the best (in my limited experience). Still had the original manual & all. A service for about €30 & it's good as new. :)

Freecycle through Yahoo. Might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sewingcentre

Had a quick look at replies and after 34 years experience using sewing machines I can say this, if you will be doing repairs not only for yourself and family but friends also or you are thinking of doing repairs for profit get an industrial Machine they are out there at €100-250 some will ask €300-500.
    These are heavy 80-130kgs so if you are going to view one bring the guy with the VAN.

" I know some girls have van's" It requires 1 meter sq for loading.

If you are serious about sewing this is the road to take.
    On the other hand if you are
    turning up the pants,skirt,repairs. any cheap singer or similar will do.

JEANS, you will be sorry you did not buy the Industrial Singer.
    "Cost of needles"

As you guessed I'm a Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tgirl

I have been using a Singer for years- what I really like about them over brands such as Berlina it is easy to get parts, any courses I have been on they have used Singers. I would say it would be handy to get a second and one.

Thanks for the further replies,

I don't intend on using the machine for profit, but solely for myself, an industrial machine would be great but my max budget is 100 euro and really for the amount I will use it I don't think an idustrial machine is essential.

A friend said my local Lidl have some at the moment so will check those out and also price secondhand Singers, I've read great reviews online about Lidls machines and they give a 3 year warranty so if it's faulty I'll bring it back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi there
    One of my friends bought the Singer from Lidl for about €100 last year and says it is great. There is a guy in Ballybrack, Co. Dublin who services Singer machines and I'm sure you would find someone in your area who would do the same.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

P.S.- I have a singer machine for the last 30 years and it is still great. But my rule of thumb is that I never lend it to anyone. (Probably sounds mean, but I did a couple of times and the machine came back totally f***** up!)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brigidcash

you will get one for about 80 in aldi

Advertisement