Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Filter for a Rio 180?

Options
  • 30-08-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend an affordable external filter system to use with an 180 litre Juwel Rio tank?

It's a tropical tank, planted with driftwood and gravel. Current stock is 3 Clown Loach, 14 Neon Tetras, 1 pleco (will probably increase to include some molly's / guppies when tank is running long enough to sustain them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend an affordable external filter system to use with an 180 litre Juwel Rio tank?

It's a tropical tank, planted with driftwood and gravel. Current stock is 3 Clown Loach, 14 Neon Tetras, 1 pleco (will probably increase to include some molly's / guppies when tank is running long enough to sustain them.

Do you actually need an external filter for a tank that size? And are those fish dirty enough to require one?
    Dunno myself just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Good question Degsy... I'm not so much sure that I *need* one than that one might be useful for water changes etc.

Have a white-spot out-break at the moment and 25% water changes or larger are an absolute pain with only a couple of 5l water bottles for top-ups. Spilling water all over the kids playroom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Whats your Price limit Sleepy

Sleepy wrote: »
    Good question Degsy... I'm not so much sure that I *need* one than that one might be useful for water changes etc.

Have a white-spot out-break at the moment and 25% water changes or larger are an absolute pain with only a couple of 5l water bottles for top-ups. Spilling water all over the kids playroom!

get one of these
    And a large 20 litre plastic bucket to drain the water into..empty it out,fill it back up,treat the water and put it back in the tank...should me much easier to do.

I've a gravel siphon and 20l bucket degsy, more curious as to the use of an external filter to pump water back into the tank versus slopping in water from the bottles. Also, from what I'm reading, there's rarely such a thing as too much filtration for any reasonably large tank.

WIZE, if it'd save me money long-run in fish stock or filter media I'd go to about €100 for something new but otherwise I'd like to keep it as low as possible without buying so cheap I'll end up buying twice... Did spot this one on adverts but on-line reviews seem a little negative...

• Advertisement

IF you wanna call over to my house over the weekend I will show you how I do it

I have the e900 of thias for the past 2 years with not one problem

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/fish/filters_pumps/canister_filters/jbl_external_filters/146499

JBL Cristal Profi e900 90 - 300 l 7.6 l 4700 ml 900 l / h

Its cheaper if you buy it from Germany

http://www.zooplus.de/shop/aquaristik/aquarium_pumpen/aquarium_aussenfilter/jbl/60240

I have 2 pcs of cristal profi e900 in my 375 liters tank. I know e900 is for a little bit smaller tanks but 2 pcs is perfect in a discus tank, just because the really good filterkapacity! I have this 2 instead for once a little bit bigger - it´s just perfect! And my discus seems like they like it too :) Kind regards Sweden
    Lotta (11/01/11) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

This is the 2nd JBL external filters I got for my fish tanks e900 for 120 LT and e1500 for 240 LT tank.I find them very good filters easy to set up trouble free and good value for money.
    Patrick Healey (11/01/11) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

it makes no noises at all and works just like they say it does. not susprise about it because it's all i was waiting for.
    Freddy Valente (28/12/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

I did not belive how quiet this filter is towards some other filters I had in the past.
    Patrick Healey (08/12/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

I have a 196 gallon tank.Within a very short time of set up it cleared waste substrate floating on water.Tank has a very good flow in intake and out take. Fantastic product
    julian lowe (14/10/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

I love this product! Simply to start and very very good filtersize. Thanks!
    (10/10/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

Bought the e900 for a 120ltr tank 3 months old with no issues You forget about it because you cant hear it
    Eoin (16/09/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

After a month me filter start too make anoises,very unhappy it make me mad.
    (07/07/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

I've got 2 of e900 for 200L tank and 1 e500 for 112L one in General they are good, When I first turned e500 I won't belie that it is working if I wouldn't see the water flowing :) top silent! the pipe set is perfect, elastic, which make easy to set it in the aquarium, different from other products when pipes are from hard plastic, very important if u use 3D background as I do.
    zaza (07/05/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

I bought this for my 500litre 100US Gal Discus Tank and it seriously outperformed my old external filter in terms of water circulation and media capacity. With a 4 year warranty, the quality and simplicity of JBL Cristal Profi E-series speaks for itself.
    (07/04/10) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

Nice looking externalfilter, easy to set up. Only thing I was dissapointed by was the flow. 1500l/h is only 900l/h when all media is in place.
    Sam (23/12/09) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

i got e1500 for my 450 ltr tank,and im very pleased with it-it is quit,super water flow,water is crystal clear,super filter!
    Fishy (17/11/09) Back to JBL Cristal Profi External Filter e-Series arrow_green.gif

Am I right in thinking the major differences in the e900 and e1500 the are capacity and power of the pumps?

AFAIK, the powerhead in the Juwel filter that comes with the Rio is 600 l/h so would the e1500 be absolute over-kill? Presumably the e900 would be a nice upgrade to my current setup and if left running alongside the current filter for a couple of weeks to allow the bacteria to develop should result in absolutely crystal clear water?

the e900 would be best for you

its for a tank size of 90ltr - 300ltr

it filters 900ltr an hour so its perfect for ur tank

you will have great water conditions using both filters

hey sleepy

Did you buy an external filter yet

if not i can sell you one of mine

• Advertisement

Will PM you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

sorry just seeing these threads now! Not sure if you got one yet....I have externals for both my (larger) tanks, but Id that tank more heavily stocked than that and very stable with numerous breedings.....so might be nice, but prob not necessary.

btw one tip for externals which I read on another forum.....puncture the inlet hose about 2 inches below the surface of the water....this way if your filter leaks then at least only some water comes out on the floor of your house......if you do not do this all the water right down to the position of your inlet tube will end up on your floor and 150l of water can do a lot of damage!

I have two oscars and a pleco in a 250 litre tank and they chuck out an awfull lot of waste..i currently have two internal filters that get cleaned once a week...would an external be any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

look at the spec for litres per hour. you want something in the range of 4-5 times your capacity (i.e. a total of 1000-1250 litres/hour for you)

Advertisement