Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to sing...

Options
  • 30-08-2011 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

To put it simple, I really want to be able to sing. I've always gotten the impression that I sound really crap or don't have a singing voice at all.

The problem is, is that I never put any volume into my voice nor have I the confidence. I'd do anything to be able to sing whilst playing guitar. Whether it be the blues or some sort of soft rock, I wouldn't mind.

Singing lessons are expensive, so are there any techniques I can use?

Another question for singers and teachers: Can just about anyone sing? Is it a gift or can you make anyone a singer with practice?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Thread marked because I'm in the same boat and interested in the answers.
    I've done some work on scales but even though I can hear that my pitch is not right I can't seem to adjust properly and get any more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have you tried recording yourself and listening back to it.. singing is the same as anything else, everybody has a (different) natural ability, which will be improved by practicising and training..

You can record yourself easily on most phones. So maybe just play and sing something easy and see how it sounds...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I've started on this programme and so far so good. Only drawback so far has been finding a place to practice!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Singing-Male-Jeffrey-Allen/dp/0769278043/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315389505&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

Have you tried recording yourself and listening back to it.. singing is the same as anything else, everybody has a (different) natural ability, which will be improved by practicising and training..

You can record yourself easily on most phones. So maybe just play and sing something easy and see how it sounds...

Yes I have, many times, and it's not helpful at all.
    It simply confirms that I sound terribly off pitch, it obviously does not tell me what I should be doing so I don't sound so bad.

Does anyone have any techniques or good lessons to get someone who currently sounds like
    222px-Squeaky_Voiced_Teen.png

to sound more like

2009+MusiCares+Person+Year+Gala+Arrivals+CGv4gfw0sKkl.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Now, I'm not claiming to be a singer but there are two things I've noticed on myself and others. Firstly, unless you're singing a particularly soft song, you have to sing it loud and with confidence (even if it's not real confidence, just belt it). And secondly, find your register. Some songs will suit your voice more in both style and register but if it doesn't sound right you can change the key/sing it in your own voice and see how it sounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yes I have, many times, and it's not helpful at all.It simply confirms that I sound terribly off pitch, it obviously does not tell me what I should be doing so I don't sound so bad.

Look I'm learning violin at the moment, and I record it too... So I know those cringe moments when you listen back and hear those "notes" that you're not so proud of.. But I know that it will be better in the long run that I hear it myself and realise that it's crap so that I can improve on it.... Rather than me being delusional about my ability when it really doesnt sound that good to a third party..

Record yourself singing a few of your favourite songs, different styles, different singers... You will quickly find which songs you are better at... If it helps sing along with a karaoke track ..there's stacks of them up on youtube.. and record that.... If you're really brave, give it to an (honest) friend and let them tell you what they think..

If you want to send me one of them I'll tell you what I think.. lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Relax relax relax.

If you have any tension in your body when you sing (especially in your head/throat region), you won't be singing to your full potential.

Also, breath from you stomach, not your chest.

As hard as it sounds, sing from your belly too, not the back of your throat, it's a sure way of destroying your singing voice.

Basics, and by no means a bible for beginners, but hope the tips help.

Also, join a choir if you can. Great craic, and seriously improves your musicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 veee

Practice, try write your own songs so you put more effort and feeling into it and avoid the "Thats not what it sounds like on the CD" worry. Joining a choir sounds good too! I might try that, only been trying for about 2 months now but I ca't keep writing songs and not singing them. Also be prepared to sound bad in public, it's probably gonna happen anyway but take the plunge and give it socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

I was in the same boat. I could just about carry a trad song but only belting it out and had no control. I definitely recommend getting lessons. Its like any instrument, some people can pick it up and play, others need guidance. I am one of the latter. I have loads of friends who play guitar etc but knew no one that could coach vocals. One to one lessons are invaluable for getting rid of bad habits that you'd otherwise never be aware of.
    I can recommend some good ones if you're based around dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I was in the same boat. I could just about carry a trad song but only belting it out and had no control. I definitely recommend getting lessons. Its like any instrument, some people can pick it up and play, others need guidance. I am one of the latter. I have loads of friends who play guitar etc but knew no one that could coach vocals. One to one lessons are invaluable for getting rid of bad habits that you'd otherwise never be aware of.

Hey, that would be great if you could.

Drop me a PM whenever you can.

Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Anyone got any experience with this? I'm interested in getting singing lessons. I play bass primarily and guitar secondary. There seems to be quite a call for singing bassists but also I'm having trouble finding guitarists that will/can sing. It seems to be a case that if you want it done, do it yourself.

I'm a complete novice though. I think any improvement would be better... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Singing and Vocals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Fart wrote: »
    Hey guys,

To put it simple, I really want to be able to sing. I've always gotten the impression that I sound really crap or don't have a singing voice at all.
    Hey Fart, (that sounds so very wrong...:))

Where did you get this impression? Did people actually tell you this? Sounds like you are comparing yourself to others. Not very wise. We all sound so different and it would be foolish to try and blend in. You have a unique voice for a reason - you are the only one of you.
    The problem is, is that I never put any volume into my voice nor have I the confidence. I'd do anything to be able to sing whilst playing guitar. Whether it be the blues or some sort of soft rock, I wouldn't mind.
    Totally understandable. If you don't feel confident with something, you are hardly going to go at it with gusto. My advice is to get used to the sound of your own voice. You want your brain to hear it, accept it and no longer hear it as a threat. When that happens, you can get to work on improving it. For now, when you have time alone, sing away to yourself. It doesn't have to be in tune or pitch perfect. You just want to get used to the act of singing. And as you get more comfortable, begin to increase the volume little by little.
    Singing lessons are expensive, so are there any techniques I can use?
    Not necessarily.. Do a bit of research on google. There are relatively cheap lessons to be had out there. It's important to learn from someone who knows what they're talking about. Breathing techniques - esp. diaphragmatic breathing are vitally important in singing. If done incorrectly, you can strain your throat, put additional pressure on the body and even cause yourself back pain. Seriously, you only get one voice. If singing is important to you, don't scrimp on it. You could do yourself serious damage which is hardly worth it.
    Another question for singers and teachers: Can just about anyone sing? Is it a gift or can you make anyone a singer with practice?
    There is a common misconception out there that many people are 'tone deaf' and refer to themselves as such. It personally drives me MAD.:) About 1-2% of the population are tone deaf - that's ALL. Yes, some are naturally more gifted than others. But that doesn't mean you can't vastly improve your singing skill with enough practice and the right techniques. For example, when I train people, I train their breathing, I check if there is too much/too little air in the nasal cavity (this REALLY affects tone), work on posture, diction, inflections,toning the lips, tongue and facial muscles... I also help people to 'feel' what they sing. Any ou'l eejit can sound pretty ok but if they're not feeling it, it's boring and tends to not come across well.. I mean, really... If you were to work on all these things, do you really have trouble believing that a huge difference can be made? It can.;)

Best of luck, Fart.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

as other people have said if you like singing join a choir. its not that dear I'm in one in tralee and it is €80 for the year. The only other expense is for a tuxedo which you can pick up for less than a €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Wurly wrote: »
    Hey Fart, (that sounds so very wrong...:))

Where did you get this impression? Did people actually tell you this? Sounds like you are comparing yourself to others. Not very wise. We all sound so different and it would be foolish to try and blend in. You have a unique voice for a reason - you are the only one of you.

Totally understandable. If you don't feel confident with something, you are hardly going to go at it with gusto. My advice is to get used to the sound of your own voice. You want your brain to hear it, accept it and no longer hear it as a threat. When that happens, you can get to work on improving it. For now, when you have time alone, sing away to yourself. It doesn't have to be in tune or pitch perfect. You just want to get used to the act of singing. And as you get more comfortable, begin to increase the volume little by little.

Not necessarily.. Do a bit of research on google. There are relatively cheap lessons to be had out there. It's important to learn from someone who knows what they're talking about. Breathing techniques - esp. diaphragmatic breathing are vitally important in singing. If done incorrectly, you can strain your throat, put additional pressure on the body and even cause yourself back pain. Seriously, you only get one voice. If singing is important to you, don't scrimp on it. You could do yourself serious damage which is hardly worth it.

There is a common misconception out there that many people are 'tone deaf' and refer to themselves as such. It personally drives me MAD.:) About 1-2% of the population are tone deaf - that's ALL. Yes, some are naturally more gifted than others. But that doesn't mean you can't vastly improve your singing skill with enough practice and the right techniques. For example, when I train people, I train their breathing, I check if there is too much/too little air in the nasal cavity (this REALLY affects tone), work on posture, diction, inflections,toning the lips, tongue and facial muscles... I also help people to 'feel' what they sing. Any ou'l eejit can sound pretty ok but if they're not feeling it, it's boring and tends to not come across well.. I mean, really... If you were to work on all these things, do you really have trouble believing that a huge difference can be made? It can.;)

Best of luck, Fart.:D

Excellent post, I feel like I've just shafted you out of 100 quid for singing lessons just there.

I'll keep on it. I appreciate your input.

Cheers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭amsbam1

Hey Funkydunky,

Could you recommend those good singer teachers in Dublin to me. I'm in the same boat, just started singing and looking for guidance.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Yo. Just seen this forum. I got a handy lil tip off the guy who sings jingles for music4.com and The Chris Moyles Radio Show. He sent me this message when I asked him about tips/exercises for making my voice stronger.

Google 'Find your Voice' by Jo Thompson. (Men's version) I don't go anywhere without it & use the simpler exercises as a vocal warm up. Check it out - Rich Oliver.

I haven't checked it out yet but sure you'd prolly find it more helpful than I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Join a choir! It's free and you get experience, good practice and advice :)
    That's how I got started. I had never sung a note before that, I never even knew I could sing. But I found out I can and I love it! :) I've been singing for almost 10 years now.

I'd like to share what the singing teacher used to tell us: Everyone can sing.

So go for it and have a lot of fun! :)

Advertisement