Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 track playback

Options
  • 30-08-2011 4:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

what's the best solution other than a laptop to play back 3+ tracks?

the application is for live backing tracks, I'd like to send a stereo mix of the backing track to the desk with a mono click for the drummer.

Ideally I'm looking for a dedicated device that's compact, portable and reliable. Have been using an ipod up to now but I'm reluctant to move to a laptop as I've seen too many laptop fails in live situations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭jawn

Get a 4 channel mixer and an iPod.

Have a single mp3 on the iPod with the click track panned to the left and the backing track panned to the right.

Get a mini-jack cable and splitter to have the iPod going into two channels, DI-out the 'right' track to the PA and both it and the click with still be hitting the drummers phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭K0K0

Yes, that's the set up that I use at the moment. This produces a mono click and a mono mix of the backing track. What I require is a mono click and a stereo mix of the backing track... 3 tracks, the click, a left and a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Laserface

laptops are rubbish
    and never use mp3 live. use .aiff or .wav files instead

i recommend a small sequencer or sampler
    samplers: the mpc500 is very cheap and its a beast. the roland sp555 or sp404. I use a sp555 myself & the click works seperate for yer drummer.

or go all out and get a sequencer workstation keyboard thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭K0K0

thanks for the recommendations laserface, I'll check em out. I had considered getting the old roland digital 8 track out of the shed, has lots of outs but wouldn't be very user friendly in a live situation.

I agree about using uncompressed files, that's one of the reasons I want to ditch the ipod.

I'm surprised I haven't been able to find a simple dedicated device for this application, I'm sure there's a market there given the prevalence of bands using backing tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 blindgundog

no harm droppin a line to roland uk maybe they have something under development.. or their tech heads can advise you...

• Advertisement
Advertisement