Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a walk, camping this weekend...

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:27pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've been planning along with 2 brothers to go on a mountain walk plus camp out overnight for a while now and we've finally decided to do it this coming weekend. None of us have any experience but do want something relatively challenging (in an amateur way!) so I'd rather not hit Howth head :pac: We are all pretty fit so should be capable of something more than a small hill but I do appreciate also that lack of experience plays a huge part too. So, can anyone recommend somewhere within about a 2 hour or so drive from Dublin? We plan to head off early Saturday morning and camp out overnight on where ever we end up and make our way back then on the Sunday. One suggestion was to do at least part of the Mourne Way -

http://www.walkni.com/Walk.aspx?ID=194

Presumably we'll have about 6-8 hours of walking time approx on the Saturday before dark and then need to allow to be home on the Sunday before dinner!

Finally, what essential items should we bring? I've no walking boots and don't want to spend a fortune quite yet - whats the minimum one should spend in terms of walking boots? I believe Aldi or Lidl sell them, anyone have any knowledge of these and if they should do the job? What other essential items should we bring for a relatively short excursion such as this?

Any other tips or suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Not to dampen your spirits but have you seen the weather for weekend, lots of rain forecast. Sligo is a grand spin and nobody interferes, climb knocknarea(or run like thhe warriors) and camp in the glen which is not well known but really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

I have seen walking boots at reasonable prices, waterproof and with vibram soles, in tk maxx.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Cheers yeah just saw the forecast today and already wondering if we should wait till another weekend, always a risk though in terms of weather in Ireland :(

Would love to head to Sligo but a bit far for just one overnight?

Will have a look in tkmax too, thanks.

Advertisement