Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to the Belgian Grand Prix

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Here's a few pointers after my trip this year, as there's little info on going to Spa posted here. I flew into Charleroi on Ryanair on the Thursday morning. I was on my own, so decided to take the trains everywhere. You can get a multitrip ticket on SNCB that'll get you from Charleroi or Brussels to Spa and over and back to where you're staying www.sncb.be. I booked accommodation late on, so I got a hotel in Liege. It's an hour's train journey to Spa from Liege and then a bus ride to Francorchamps. I wouldn't recommend staying in Liege as it's so far away and you have to change trains in Pepinster, try to stay in Spa or Verviers. If you are taking the train, try to get your times perfect or you'll be waiting around ages for connecting trains. Francorchamps is a village 8km from Spa. I travelled from Charleroi - Brussels - Spa and you wouldn't know there's a GP on at all. I had to get a €30 taxi from the tourist office in Spa to Francorchamps on Friday as I'd arrived too late for the public buses. There is a €6 return shuttle put on by the public bus company TEC, on Saturday and Sunday from the Spa train station to Francorchamps. You have to walk about 2km from the village to the track. After the race, I took my time getting back to Francorchamps, walked from Eau Rouge to La Source on the track and took a few photos. I was able to walk straight onto the bus to Verviers where I took the train to Liege and got another train to Charleroi where I stayed the night and flew back on the Monday morning. It's a great GP to go to, amazing to see the cars go through Eau Rouge in the dry and you won't believe how steep it is, but there's nothing in terms of convenience for the travelling punters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nice advice.:)

Post your pics.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Excellent advice effone..

This year was my first trip to the Belgian GP, we met some friends at London Gatwick friday morning and drove to dover, ferry to calais and then drove to Robertville, near Malmedy where we set up camp for 2 nights.
    I had toyed with the idea of flying to Belgium and using Public transport, however as other people were coming I thought it was easier to just meet them and drive over.
    We left about Lap 25 as the others were driving back to calais and we had to get to the airport... Next year, i think we'll get a Gold ticket so we can see more and camp on the Sunday night as well..

First time at Spa also, amazing track and setting, cant wait to go back!
    Travelled on the Ryanair flight Thursday morning also but as there was three of us we chipped in on a rental car. We got some good quality camping gear at good prices in Decathlon in Brussels. Was a bit surprised at the price of food & drink once inside the track compared with my visit to Hockenheim last year.. was also surprised at how quite the town of Spa was come evening time considering the event that was on. Great weekend all in and an action packed race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Sounds great. One question roughly how much woul you say the whole trip set you back?

Cost me about 800 all in, entry ticket and share in rental car being the most expensive parts. We ate out every morning and evening whilst in Spa whereas most people on the campsite were cooking up. We then spent two nights on the lash in Brussels. Not bad for a 5 day break imo.. you learn as you go also so next year will be a bit cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Cost me about 800 all in, entry ticket and share in rental car being the most expensive parts. We ate out every morning and evening whilst in Spa whereas most people on the campsite were cooking up. We then spent two nights on the lash in Brussels. Not bad for a 5 day break imo.. you learn as you go also so next year will be a bit cheaper

Thanks for that, sounds rocking great value. Now must leave this page open where herself will accidentally find it and hopefully take the hint for next year.:pac:

Advertisement