Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know nothing about Project Maths!

Options
  • 29-08-2011 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me anything about it? How different it is from the old course, is it any harder/easier, etc.

I plan doing the higher level course in one year, either externally or as a repeat doing five other subjects.

And I did the old ordinary level course...

Any info at all would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

im in the exact same position, haven't a clue in the difference:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

its removed a lot of things in the areas of trig/co-ord geometry/calculus for an emphasis on things like statistics and probabillity, more "applicable maths". As for books, we're using Active Maths in school, and I think its one of the only full project maths books so far, so I can only recommed that, cause I don't know anything else.

Its easier in the sense that there's less of the more "high-end" more abstract kind of stuff, but harder in the sense that the questions are more contextual, and test your understanding more than the old syllabus, which could be "drilled", in a sense.

http://www.projectmaths.ie/

syllabus and some other info here, hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Its easier in the sense that there's less of the more "high-end" more abstract kind of stuff, but harder in the sense that the questions are more contextual, and test your understanding more than the old syllabus, which could be "drilled", in a sense.

Thanks! Hmm, it might suit me better than the old one, I tend to find things easier when they're logical and can be kind of figured out... At least I did in Junior Cert science anyway. :D

Is the Junior Cert honours course any help for project maths? I got an A in that... But Junior Cert As generally have nothing to do with the Leaving Cert! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Not really, because thats changed too. Its all just fresh stuff thats been brought in with the stats/prob, and its a brand new exam layout aswell. Hard to explain, but just take a look at the sample paper and you'll see what i mean.

But at the same time, based on my experience, it might be a good thing, as I seem to see that good students prefer that style, as there already comfortable with the tougher abstract stuff, so can apply more simple things easier, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I was in a pilot school last year, PM me if you want specifics.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'd be able to do anything out of paper one - section A but I suppose last year's honours students would. Section B seems more like what I'd be into, I wouldn't know how to do the questions, but I suppose they'd be easy once learned... Do you learn formulas for section B questions or are you expected to think and figure them out? The area and volume questions are very different to the sort I'm used to, but seem kind of interesting!

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P1_Higher_Level.pdf

By the way I plan on going to 6th year classes and as many 5th year ones as possible (between one and six I suppose) if I do the new course. And I'll probably have to get grinds... Yay. :P

And quick question, is any of the old course (like paper one - section C) still on the course for the 2012 Leaving Cert? Are they slowly getting rid of the entire old course or is some of it always going to be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

I'm actually really annoyed about project maths, although the older format was harder it suited me more as I had an advantage over other students... Selfish but meh...

It's a bit messed up, I've looked around online and have read a few articles about it but nothing conclusive. I suppose our teacher at school will tell us about it.

Good luck!

It does look pretty mental... :eek:

But sure we'll give it go! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'm actually really annoyed about project maths, although the older format was harder it suited me more as I had an advantage over other students... Selfish but meh...!

How did you have an advantage? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Is this the only Maths test this year ? Or can you still do the old style as I done mine in 2007 ..

msg11 wrote: »
    Is this the only Maths test this year ? Or can you still do the old style as I done mine in 2007 ..

I'm fairly certain it's the only one. But one paper (or at least part of it) is from the old course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Project Maths is a new maths course which has been trialled in seperate phases (i.e. been gradually introduced) in some pilot secondary schools in the last few years. It is now being phased into all schools, beginning at LC 2012. Basically - the way I understand it is that paper 1 is gonna be the same as it was in the old course, and paper 2 is gonna be Project Maths in 2012. In 2013 I think both papers will be different, and the maths course will have completely transitions to Project Maths.

Here is the layout of the new paper 2 my teacher gave me:
    Section A: Concepts + Skills (150 Marks), all questions be answered:
    1. Probability (25 marks)
    2. Statistics (25 marks)
    3. Geometry (constructions and that I think, 25 marks).
    4. Co-ordinate geometry of the circle (25 marks)
    5. Trigonometry (25 marks)
    6. The Line (25 Marks)

Section B: Concepts + Application (Applying concepts to everyday situations)
    7. Stats + Probability (50 marks)
    8. Geometry + Trig (50 marks)
    9A: More Probability + Stats (again, 50 marks)
    OR
    9B: More Geometry + Trig (50 marks)
    The only option on the paper is the 9A or 9B part.

As far as I see it, the main difference is how they're asking questions now. They're trying to make it less abstract and relate it more to real life.

Probability + stats and the geometry (a lot of which goes back to Junior Cert apparently - all of which I've forgotten in the last 2 years) are probably the most new things introduced to the course. There was some probability + stats on the old course, but that's been greatly expanded now. As you can see Probability + Stats will at least make up 1/3 of your paper 2 grade, or around 16.5% of your overall grade at least.

Advertisement