Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 EGR AWX engine

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Greetings all, for once this isnt about my trooper, which is what Im usually on about. But looking for advice anyway if possible, though I think this one's a lost battle.
    Missus drives a 2003 A4 diesel, the 130bhp AWX engine. I want to disconnet the EGR so that all that engine gunk isnt redirected back into the engine. Pulled the vac pipe at the valve itself but after about 10 miles the engine management light came on. Got light switched off and tried something else, put blanking plate between egr pipe and exhaust manifold. Light on again.
    Is there anyway to disable the EGR without that light being triggered?
    I dont want the light on all the time because then we wont know if something else has gone amiss. Also wont pass NCT with it on.
    Any and all ideas welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Peterbilt wrote: »
    Greetings all, for once this isnt about my trooper, which is what Im usually on about. But looking for advice anyway if possible, though I think this one's a lost battle.
    Missus drives a 2003 A4 diesel, the 130bhp AWX engine. I want to disconnet the EGR so that all that engine gunk isnt redirected back into the engine. Pulled the vac pipe at the valve itself but after about 10 miles the engine management light came on. Got light switched off and tried something else, put blanking plate between egr pipe and exhaust manifold. Light on again.
    Is there anyway to disable the EGR without that light being triggered?
    I dont want the light on all the time because then we wont know if something else has gone amiss. Also wont pass NCT with it on.
    Any and all ideas welcome.
    Thanks.

Why would you want to blank it off? It is there for a reason its not gonna break the engine or similar. Engine warning light will come on as its connected to the ECU and without it it records a fault. Might be a workaround for this by bridging pins on the ECU but its hardly worth the effort.

EDIT: Just looked at a previous thread and Slidey said he blocked the vacuum pipe to the egr and its working fine without engine light coming up-worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

Blocking the egr in any way on one of these will bring up the light. I explained how in a previous post iirc. Basically a VAG car knows if the egr is opening my measuring the air mass entering the engine. If you blank it, the light will come on. Easiest thing to do is leave it alone. If it's not broke don't fix it. Usually all that happens with these is the egr valve itself can eventually block up, but can easily be cleaned if needed. Drive it on once or twice a week and it will be fine. The egr valve is not working continuously, it only operates under certain conditions. egr's can be disabled easily on a lot of diesels but not these. In my experience VAG cars are not the worst for egr problems anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

The missus only potters around in the A4,low revs. If the car was used for motorway driving and the like it would be alright. In theory egr closes at higher revs, but pottering around and city driving the damn thing opens and all that exhaust crap gets stuck to the sides of the inlet manifold and cakes it up like bloody tar. Smoke, power loss, higher mpg...:mad:
    Like smoking 20 major a day to a car if you imagine the inlet manifold as the car's lungs.

There was an electronic gizmo on ebay about 2 years ago, connected to the mass air flow sensor it tells the ECU that everythings grand with the EGR when you blank it off and no Check Engine Light is triggered. Has
    diosappeared now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

These are the best kits: http://cgi.ebay.ie/Allard-EGR-Delete-kit-Golf-Audi-Seat-Skoda-Tdi-90-110-/170688645545?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27bdd609a9#ht_1932wt_920

And to the poster who asked why would you block of the EGR...have you ever seen the amount of dirt the gathers inside the inlet manifold etc when there is an egr fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Peterbilt

McP2001, I can tell you Ive seen it. Spent half a day helping a neighbour clean the inlet manifold of his trooper one time. He didnt know about the egr problem. In the troopers theres a sensor thats located in the inlet manifold. It was buried under about 8mm of gunk. And this man was wondering why his trooper - which he takes care of better than himself - wasdown on power and increasingly smokey.

EGRs, the work of the devil :mad:.

• Advertisement

Troopers and A4s are not the same. A lot of people make the assumption that if one make of car does something then all makes of car do it. These engines don't clog up anything nearly as bad as that, unless there is a faulty part. Stay away from ebay muck. Sounds like the same sort of crap as those fuel saver devices and what not. Just giving you my two cents. After 8 years in the trade I can tell you the EGR is not the biggest of your worries with an A4.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭McP2011

Troopers and A4s are not the same. A lot of people make the assumption that if one make of car does something then all makes of car do it. These engines don't clog up anything nearly as bad as that, unless there is a faulty part. Stay away from ebay muck. Sounds like the same sort of crap as those fuel saver devices and what not. Just giving you my two cents. After 8 years in the trade I can tell you the EGR is not the biggest of your worries with an A4.

There will be carbon build up/gunk in the inlet manifold regardless if its a audi or a peugeot.

McP2011 wrote: »
    There will be carbon build up/gunk in the inlet manifold regardless if its a audi or a peugeot.

You're right, what do I know about it.

I really don't see the point in advising people in this section. It mostly seems to be people looking for an answer they want to hear instead of the answer they should hear.

Advertisement