Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a big reason to import Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call

Options
  • 29-08-2011 8:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭

The next Professor Layton game includes a sub RPG mode that contributes about 100+ hours to the main game called London Life. This mode was created by Brownie Brown who happen to be responsible for Mother 3, my current favourite game ever.

However the EU version fo this game does not include London Life while the US version will. This is more than likely due to localisation issues:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-29-professor-laytons-london-life-is-us-only

Well we're getting Xenoblade, Last Story and Pandora's Tower so it was only a matter of time before Nintendo got out of bizzarro world and started treating Europe like shit again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Irony... Call it by the name of one of the most popular cities of Europe and then give it only to us people, but europeons...

Love region lock bull****....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nintendo really are a shower of gob****es.

It's like they're trying to encourage people to pirate their games.

Whatis the reason of not going it to eu? What sort of localisation problem there can be?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They've got to translate the RPG section which has a tonne of dialogue into alot more languages than the US version. Also NoE has to do it's own localisation work since nintendo won't let them use the mexican spanish, canadian french and even the US english localistions that are done for the US release due to the differences in the languages between regions.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They've got to translate the RPG section which has a tonne of dialogue into alot more languages than the US version. Also NoE has to do it's own localisation work since nintendo won't let them use the mexican spanish, canadian french and even the US english localistions that are done for the US release due to the differences in the languages between regions.

Right... I am foreigner and I want to say: gtfo and learn English!!!

English is international language. Play as it is or gtfo... Surely there are toms of games that are English only and released for Europe?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its the very reason why we (Europe) had to wait ages to get games after the states "back in the day", they only started world wide releases when piracy became a big thing in the gaming world. Alot of RPG's never made it to our shores as a result also, xenogears, chrono cross/trigger, legend of mana.. the list goes on..

I'm assuming as this game wouldnt be game breaking sales wise, and the majority of the public wouldnt even know of the removal of the mini game anyway, its alot more time/cost effective.

Just think of how many languages are in the EU now, would take them ages :(

But they should give the customers the choice, instead of just outright exclusion.. Most euro countries know English anyways..

I agree nix. If you could not be ****ed to learn English, then it's your own problem.

Why should the rest of the Europe suffer then... Those who want that content, should atleast get the option to buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well since the DS is region free it isn't the end of the world by any stretch - as long as it gets an English release somewhere it's all good.

It's the Wii games that are more of a concern - America are getting seriously ****ed over, especially when there are English localisations knocking around.

Sony are - somewhat ironically for the company that brought down Lik-Sang - the leading lights in terms of non region restricting content. Nintendo (whose region locking of the 3DS is a damn shame) and Microsoft can surely make up excuses about piracy, lost sales blah blah blah. But the only people who lose out when a game is region restricted are the loyal, enthusiast gamers. They're really only screwing over the people who have supported them for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Right... I am foreigner and I want to say: gtfo and learn English!!!

English is international language. Play as it is or gtfo... Surely there are toms of games that are English only and released for Europe?!

Only when every native English speaker learns 2 other European languages, fluently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/29935/professor-laytons-london-life-is-coming-to-europe/
    Professor Layton And The Spectre's Call will feature the bonus RPG London Life in Europe.
    It has been reported that the 100-hour RPG that will come with Spectre's Call will be a North American exclusive.
    However, Nintendo UK has told Official Nintendo Magazine that this is not the case - Spectre's Call will come with London Life in Europe when the new puzzling adventure is released in November.
    I'd have just bought the US version when I was over there (even though the actor doing Luke's voice is meant to be crap) but seems it was all a storm in a tea cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fantastic reporting by eurogamer as always :rolleyes:

Anyway seems like good news and Nintendo are still in bizarro land.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo are still in bizarro land.

Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eurogamer are getting worse and worse. Four or five years ago they were probably the best game site on the internet, now they're a mess. From factually wrong reports, stuff like this http://www.giantbomb.com/battlefield-3/61-27006/eurogamer-gets-confused-thinks-camero-sports-cars-are-in-bf3/35-510982/ and the easy ride they give UK developed games in their reviews, they're actually getting worse than kotaku.

I think the worst thing was when the whole Deus Ex being region locked thing came out. There wasn't a peep about this despite being huge news in Europe. they had a small announcement that it wasn't going ahead a few days after Square Enix backed down. The quality of games journalism is terrible especially on eurogamer because instead of actually doing some real journalism they lazily **** out press releases. We need another Luke Smith, it's such a pity he left 1up to work for Bungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Wait, I'm confused. That link says that London Life isn't coming to Europe. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wait, I'm confused. That link says that London Life isn't coming to Europe. :confused:

It's only included in the American version, Nintendo aren't including it in the Europe release. But given the region free nature of the original DS, its easily importable. So everyone wins! Except for the poor Layton fan who doesn't read the Internet :pac:

Advertisement