Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's life on the pale blue dot?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

anyone fancy a pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

no thats depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I misread that as "James May rides a U-2 spy plane" If he had sex with a plane would he be an "Aerosexual" ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hee, the ducky is dancing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We're the universe becoming self-conscious. Insignificant, nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Why is that depressing? We are hardly insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

We are all insignificant in a significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm insignificant and so's my wife!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

what about the string theory, now thats depressing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Only a stupid human could consider themselves insignificant while at the same time possessing the unique ability to observe and understand the universe they exist in.. that's what's depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Chips Ahoy wrote: »
    what about the string theory, now thats depressing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Might read that later ... when I can't sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Perspective.

Sure the Earth looks small from up there, but Kim Kardashian still has a HUGE arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

This morning I woke up and realised that I didn’t matter a jot and everything I would ever do would be worthless.
    Even if I solved world hunger the human race will probably be extinct in a thousand years which is the blink
    of an eye in geological time. We are all pointless little ants on a speck of dust floating aimlessly through the cold
    lonely depths of space.

And all people do is trundle about giving a shit about fetes and cake recipes and who is going to win
    X-Factor. Look at the universe in all its intimidating bleakness; it’s not even worth bothering to try to think
    about attempting to achieve anything. It is all a pointlessly absurd pantomime and here we are, trapped on the
    conveyor belt of disappointment, bewilderingly trying our best not to lose our little ape minds.

Life is just a long series of kicks to the proverbials; a pointless struggle to achieve the non-existent “good life”.
    Real life doesn’t work like that – nobody has ever “finished” life – because you can’t; you just trudge wearily along
    the treadmill of despair whilst the Fates sling malignant tumours and divorce at you. Hurdle after disheartening
    hurdle trying to make a decent living but by the time that starts happening you body gives up and begins to
    slowly dismantle itself from the inside out.

And what do we do? Well we just make up gown-wearing happy anti-death cults which weekly celebrate the
    fact that when we kick the oxygen habit we still get to do all the nice things like stay alive and stuff. Because
    even though death looks convincingly like the end – lying motionlessly on the floor, the inevitable rotting of the
    brain – it isn’t actually, ‘cause after this life, for no obvious reason, you get another. And the next won’t be as shit
    as this one, oh yeah and it will be eternal. Bloody brilliant, I’ve been blissfully unaware for billions of years and
    then a wayward sperm bumps into an egg and I am suddenly called into existence. An existence that’s eternal,
    that’s just great; I don’t even get the satisfaction of knowing that maybe someday this hell will eventually end.
    No it goes forever and ever; trillions of years, eons of banal happy smiley
    loveliness. Trapped forever in the most drawn out cocktail party of your life; and it never ends. Never. Fucking NEVER.
    INFINITELY. MY GOD KILL ME, KILL ME NOW.

But then I rolled over and found a packet of Fruit Pastilles, so swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

the duck party gif made me lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Pdfile wrote: »
    the duck party gif made me lol...

If you really want to dance along, try listening to this at the same time ...

Advertisement