Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about doing post grad in Ireland

Options
  • 29-08-2011 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I'm an American and graduated from my undergrad in 2010 with a degree in political science. Over the past few years I've been considering a Masters in Ireland (not sure exactly what, probably in business though). My question is concerning the entry requirements... I have a 3.64 GPA - what would that translate into? And I wouldn't have to take the GRE like we do here, do I? Is there anything important I should keep in mind as I start applying? Thank you so much for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭LilMsss

I can't help you with converting your GPA into the Irish equivalent because their isn't one that is exactly comparable. We have a completely different education system here based on a honours system. The basic grade system for most Irish universities can be broken down as follows:

1.1 = 80 - 100 % - First class honours
    2.1 = 65 - 79 % - Upper second class honours
    2.2 = 50 - 64 % - Second class honours
    3.3 = 40 - 49 % - Third class honours
    0 - 40 % = Unsuccessful

This system is applicable for an individual essay/assignment and also exams. If you know you exact grade in percentage, then you can average them out and see where you fall on the scale.

Most postgraduate courses require a 2:1 or above for entry. It really depends on the discipline you are looking to do a course in. All research degrees M.Res, PhD etc. are pass/fail, but still require high grades at undergraduate and often postgrad levels to be considered.

The main universities in Dublin are UCD, TCD, DCU and DIT, although there are many smaller and private colleges also operating in Dublin. UCD and TCD have quite good reputations internationally. There are also NUI (National University of Ireland) colleges around the country and others in Limerick (UL), and Cork (UCC), although I have more experience with Dublin universities.

There is a Postgraduare Applications Centre (PAC) that many courses can be applied for online but not every college accepts that and some require direct application to the institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Thanks very much for the info! That link was very helpful as well, listed specifically where my GPA falls in the system. Would a 2.1 then give me a decent shot at acceptance?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

That link was very helpful as well, listed specifically where my GPA falls in the system. Would a 2.1 then give me a decent shot at acceptance?

Most Masters degrees will admit people of 2.1 standard, unless the programme is greatly oversubscribed. Many programmes will even look at your individual subjects and if the relevant ones are of 2.1 standard you should be OK.
    Over the past few years I've been considering a Masters in Ireland (not sure exactly what, probably in business though)

This link below is the UCD Smurfit Business school, the largest in Ireland, you can see which programmes they are likely to accept a non business degree for.
    http://www.smurfitschool.ie/tools/programmefinder/

^^ Thanks very much, I've been reading up on smurfit all day and looks like I'll be applying as soon as I can!

• Advertisement

Ok, I didn't know if I should start a new topic or add to this, but I thought this would be simpler. Basically, I am looking to do a Masters in business, and from what I've read management is right up my alley and I have the best chance of getting into a course like that with my social science degree. My dilemma is that I do not have much business experience to put on my CV besides temp work. I am currently finding it difficult to find work at the moment (which is why I am wanting to go back to school) and I am very worried that my CV may be the downfall on my applications. I did very well in university and am confident in my scores, and in the references I can get. But since leaving university I have been working odd temp jobs and traveling when I could, and I am sickened that universities might see this as a lack of focus or responsibility.

Is there any advice anyone can share as to ensure the best looking CV and (probably) essay I will need to write for the programs? I am absolutely positive this is what I want to do and I am so worried that something will hold me back. Any advice at all would be fantastic, I have researched all I can and I am absolutely sick with nervousness about not getting in, it really means a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sweetcorn01

It's quite common for people in Ireland to go straight into a masters course immediately after their undergraduate degree. So the fact that you are not, and even have some work experience, should work in your favour I would imagine.
    Even though its "only" temp work, maybe you can dress it up as much as possible to show the relevance to the course you're interested in. Most students who go straight from their degree into a masters wont have any relevant work experience.
    Smurfit has a very good rep and is a great place. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

LilMsss wrote: »
    I can't help you with converting your GPA into the Irish equivalent because their isn't one that is exactly comparable. We have a completely different education system here based on a honours system. The basic grade system for most Irish universities can be broken down as follows:

1.1 = 80 - 100 % - First class honours
    2.1 = 65 - 79 % - Upper second class honours
    2.2 = 50 - 64 % - Second class honours
    3.3 = 40 - 49 % - Third class honours
    0 - 40 % = Unsuccessful

That's not right, it's usually more like:

1.1 = 70 - 100 % - First class honours
    2.1 = 60 - 69 % - Upper second class honours
    2.2 = 50 - 59 % - Second class honours
    3.3 = 40 - 49 % - Third class honours (usually known as "Pass")
    0 - 40 % = Unsuccessful

It's quite common for people in Ireland to go straight into a masters course immediately after their undergraduate degree. So the fact that you are not, and even have some work experience, should work in your favour I would imagine.
    Even though its "only" temp work, maybe you can dress it up as much as possible to show the relevance to the course you're interested in. Most students who go straight from their degree into a masters wont have any relevant work experience.
    Smurfit has a very good rep and is a great place. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I hope I won't be overlooked for any reason! I am shooting to send off my applications as soon as I can so I will get a response quickly.

Advertisement