Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two questions

Options
  • 29-08-2011 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭

Would you mind you grandchildren full or part time while your children are at work? would you feel guilty if they asked and you were reluctant to do it.

Would you think it a bit much for a grandparent in there 70's to be asked to mind a toddle? for a whole day.

As for me I don't have any grandchildren yet and I work full time so I have not been faced with the question. I don't think I would do it full time but I might help out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No. In an emergency I would, no problem. But not on a regular basis, for a whole pile of reasons, not least that much as I love her, I would not have the energy for her. I have done my toddler rearing. That said, many people my age do care for grandchildren perfectly happily and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I'm currently 37 but when I'm 60 my 'kids' will be 40, 37, 35 and 32........

I'd imagine they will have children and I can honestly say I have no interest in becoming a full time carer to their kids..

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited at the prospect of grandchildren and I fully intend to babysit for nights out or weekend shopping trips etc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would you mind you grandchildren full or part time while your children are at work?

Have no grand kids and don't want any, cos that would make me a granny!!
    If they exist in the future, no way in hell I'm minding them. There's a reason I only had one child myself, once was enough ta.
    I work full time anyway, so no go.
    would you feel guilty if they asked and you were reluctant to do it.

Nope. Not even a tincy bit.
    Would you think it a bit much for a grandparent in there 70's to be asked to mind a toddle? for a whole day.

It's a cheek imo. I never asked my parents.
    You should not get to be 70 and be transported back to a time of child care, it's damn hard work and you should be enjoying your old age in a carefree way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As a grandparent Id feel a little guilty if I had to say no to looking after a grandchild. In an emergency I wouldnt mind but wouldn't fancy the idea at all on most other occasions.

Speaking from experience when we looked after our grandson for a few months (well, it was my wife actually) several years ago we (she) found it very trying and basically had to stop.

In fairness he was only a 2 year old at the time and at that age it does take a lot of time and effort. I think as they grow a little older there isnt as much bother with them but I can safely say that if I was asked to do this in my sixties or seventies Id be highly insulted and it would be a "feck off" type answer that would be given as opposed to a "no thank you"

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Have no grand kids and don't want any, cos that would make me a granny!!
    Ah dont worry about it. Happens to the best of us ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement