Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad coverage Of RTE 2hd when GAA/rugby is on

Options
  • 29-08-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was wondering does anyone else face the same problem when watching real hd during GAA/rugby matches. I am viewing saorview from UHF 53, and I receive all saorview channels in good picture quality but whenever RTE two hd broadcast real hd and not that upscaled sh1te all my saorview channels suffer and they become "mushed up/pixelated". I had To stop watching the Sunday game in hd and switch to bbc2 ni to watch the
    Match yesterday.
    Does anyone else get this problem? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is the Saorview tuner a TV, STB or PC i.e. what do you plug the aerial into?

No problems here with the game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭marko_polo1234

It's an Lg 42" tv with saorview and freeview built in.

Haven't come across this on the boards before, can't see how a channel with higher bitrate would cause this to happen unless there is a fault with the TV.

Did the HD test loop have the same effect? When did this start happening?

What's the signal strength/quality like for Saorview? How many aerials have you for Saorview/freeview?

I only got this LG tv a month ago from Harvey normen, so I never got to seer the hd test loop on it. I only noticed it happening when all month I had been receiving brilliant guilty saorview channels but on Sunday just when the real hd was being broadcast during the whole of" The Sunday Game", it and the rest of the saorview channels were in bad quality but after it all the channels were grand.
    My tv's model no. Is Lg 42PT353K and signal strength is 50% and signal is 20/21% but all the channels are grand at the moment despite the percentages.

I only got this LG tv a month ago from Harvey normen, so I never got to seer the hd test loop on it. I only noticed it happening when all month I had been receiving brilliant guilty saorview channels but on Sunday just when the real hd was being broadcast during the whole of" The Sunday Game", it and the rest of the saorview channels were in bad quality but after it all the channels were grand.
    My tv's model no. Is Lg 42PT353K and signal strength is 50% and signal is 20/21% but all the channels are grand at the moment despite the percentages.

Signal quality is way too low eventhough we don't actually know what the percentage figure represents in actual numbers. Probably as a rule of thumb it should be in the 90's. Also signal strength is probably a bit low.

What's your aerial setup at the moment?

Increase those figures, especially the signal quality figure and all should return to normal.

• Advertisement

Well my aerial was fitted in about four years ago when I moved into my new house, so it ain't old and I get excellent coverage of freeview, analogue RTE, tv3, tg4, BBC itv ch4 etc and saorview channels 99% of the time.

So my aerial should be suitable for REAL HD on RTE 2hd, any suggestions to help this oul problem would be appreciated

Well my aerial was fitted in about four years ago when I moved into my new house, so it ain't old and I get excellent coverage of freeview, analogue RTE, tv3, tg4, BBC itv ch4 etc and saorview channels 99% of the time.

So my aerial should be suitable for REAL HD on RTE 2hd, any suggestions to help this oul problem would be appreciated

How many aerials do you have to receive the Irish and UK channels?

If you receive all of these services on one aerial that could be your problem, it may be aligned on the UK transmitter for the UK channels. It could explain the low signal strength/quality for the Saorview channels. What are the figures for Freeview?

What type/group aerial do you have installed at the moment?

Reception of Saorview an freeview requires 2 aerials aligned to the correct transmitters.

Where are you located and what is your nearest Saorview and Freeview transmitters? See the coverage checker for Saorview - http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-checker/

Aye, I get all the freeview and saorview channels off the one aerial and I live in Monaghan town. I used to have my new telly getting my saorview channels of UHF 55 but that had extremely poor coverage so I switched to UHF 53, as UHF 53 had far superior coverage to the previous one, even though the actuall uhf 53 transmitter seemed further away from me than the UHF 55 transmitter on the saorview coverage checker map.
    I get my freeview channels from UHF ch 34, and the signal strength is around 94/95%.
    Should I try switching my saorview channels to a different UHF again or what?
    Thanks the Cush for your time in dealing with this tread!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Aye, I get all the freeview and saorview channels off the one aerial and I live in Monaghan town.

The typical installation in Monaghan would have at least 2 aerials on the mast, possibly 3 as both UHF & VHF are used for analogue from the Monaghan transmitter. Only UHF is necessary to receive Saorview or the analogue channels from Cairn Hill or Clermont Carn. If you have TV3 analogue & Saorview on UHF 53, it's likely you're receiving from Clermont Carn.

A seperate UHF aerial would be used for NI reception, preferably from the Divis (Belfast) transmitter. Btw, Freeview is carried on 6 UHF channels (23, 26, 29, 33, 34, 48) from there.

Take a look & see where your aerial(s) is/are pointing.

The Saorview coverage checker recommends the Monaghan transmitter for the Irish digital channels. Group C/D (green tip) aerial pointing SW will be required for UHF Ch. 55.

ic4ok1.jpg

As Peter said above Divis probably provides Freeview coverage in your area, Group K (grey tip) aerial for both digital and analogue channels from there now or Group A (red tip) for digital after UK DSO.

28ititw.jpg

Can you post a picture of your current aerial, does it have masthead amplifier?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    The typical installation in Monaghan would have at least 2 aerials on the mast, possibly 3 . . .

Just talking to myself, but I think I spotted one today with 4 aerials (no photo), from the top; Divis, Clermont (for TV3, no doubt), Monaghan UHF (presumably better quality TG4 than CC), Monaghan VHF (best for RTE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 a224442224

Hi guys,
    I was wondering does anyone else face the same problem when watching real hd during GAA/rugby matches. .... I had To stop watching the Sunday game in hd and switch to bbc2 ni to watch the
    Match yesterday.
    Does anyone else get this problem?
    Yes, happened to me recording the Sunday Game Live last week. Whole recording was pixelated, except where ads were being shown. My Ferguson Arriva displayed a message when recording that recording speed was too low on External drive. I put it down to maybe more detail to be recorded in HD and that maybe I needed to get a new USB hard drive (it's getting on a bit).

Anyway, haven't had the same since or before.

On a seperate subject, having problems upgrading the firmware on my Ferguson Arriva via network. Says it failed each time - anyone got any solutions?

Today's game is in perfect quality

Advertisement