Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance - 6months?

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    I have a question about Rent Allowance?
    I am 22 and on JA for the past 13months
    I started renting a flat 6 months ago and went into my CWO to apply for Rent Allowance, she told me I had to be on the council list so I applied but got refused.
    So anyway I have read all over the Internet that I am entitled to Rent Allowance after 6 months of Renting privately?
    Is this definitely true
    Because my CWO keeps making up excuses for me not to get it.
    And I am in with her every single week and she keeps sending me back.
    So I need to know for a fact!
    Am i definitely entitled to RA after 6 months of Renting?
    Thanks x

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months

Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement.

from here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

if you have been refused a place on the housing list you can be refused rent allowance. if you are not happy with cwo make a formal application and she has to give you a refusal which you can appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It isn't only that you need to be either approved for the Council housing list or renting privately for 6 months. The six months qualifying criteria has other conditions that go along with it i.e., that you need to prove that at the time you started renting you were able to afford the rent and that you are only applying for rent supplement now because a change in your circumstances (income) has happened since you started renting.

Rent Supplement will only be provided if the accommodation is suitable for your needs and the rent is below the maximum rent level set for your county.

You may get Rent Supplement if you have been living for 6 months (183 days) out of the last 12 months in one, or a combination, of the following:

Accommodation for homeless people.
    Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.
    An institution, for example, a hospital, care home or place of detention.
    Or

Have been assessed by a local authority as being eligible for and in need of social housing in the last 12 months. If you don't have a housing need assessment, you must go to the local authority to have your housing need assessed. The local authority must be in the area that you intend to live and claim Rent Supplement. Only when you are assessed as eligible for and in need of housing can you apply for Rent Supplement. Rent Supplement is not payable while the local authority is carrying out a housing needs assessment.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sanna

I was on rent allowance for a last year and then you had to be on the council list for a house, situation improved and we no longer needed it, but few months ago it changed again and had to apply for it.

This time around, you dont need to be on the list, but the forms are longer and its not the person in the Health Centre/relieving officer or what ever they are called that decides on if you get it. You have to send the forms away and then get approved or declined, been told that there was about a 4-6wk delay on getting told the outcome, midway through filling the forms in my situation changed again so hopefully dont need to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 titan1892

hey all need advice asap im 24 nd im tryna move 2 cork but im only gettin jobseekers nd i dunno wot 2 do or where 2 go bout rent allowance or deposits can sum1 pls help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

titan1892 wrote: »
    hey all need advice asap im 24 nd im tryna move 2 cork but im only gettin jobseekers nd i dunno wot 2 do or where 2 go bout rent allowance or deposits can sum1 pls help

I know that we're not supposed to pick people up for spelling or grammatical mistakes, but could you not make a little more effort with your posts ?

I think you might need to be in the property and paying rent before you can claim for rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

titan1892 wrote: »

You need to contact your local Community Welfare Officer (CWO) who you will find in your local health centre and ask them.
    You will most likely be told to go to the Health Centre in the area you wish to live.
    As other posts suggest, you need to have evidence of renting privately for at least six months and you have to put your name on the housing list.

Advertisement