Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation Question - New Student

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

My brother is going to LYIT in September. We're just trying to find accommodation now, preferably on campus. Can anyone give me an idea of rent on say a single bedroom? Recommend any particular apartments? I've emailed management and am awaiting a reply but would be great to just have an idea of costs.
    Thanks
    Elle x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dean27

I'm going to lyit this year and I am staying in the ballyraine campus. Its a nice enough place and is meant to be lethal craic and good for getting to meet people. It's only a 5 min or so walk to the IT. The deposit for me was 450 euro and I'm paying like 75 euro a week. That's all bills payed for with high speed broadband etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

75 p/w with bills is fantastic! Is that a single bedroom? How did you register with them? Online? Have you been to view the accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 dean27

I have been to view the accommodation. It seems like a nice place. The owners and workers there seem incredibly friendly and treat their tenants as family.

I also thought that was a very fair price. There is a 35 euro allowance per month for electricity, although apparently the average Irish student never goes over 35. One boy apparently got 35 euro back as he only spent 35 euro in 2 months on electricity through the last winter! Refuse is covered as well.

I'm sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with a mate of mine. It might be less if there is 3 people sharing. Search ballyraine campus on google and get the contact details there. Alternatively,as I did, just go to the reception to view the apartments if possible.

Thanks for that Dean. He's heading up tomorrow so will check them out then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ronnie25

i hear bad things about those student digs
    hes best off sharing with me and another lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mcg1987

aye ballyraines reli good esp if hes first year! pure parties! before and after ye go out! and there good flats too...fixed up every year so should be like new when ye look at them.
    if you go down the line of house share/rent whatever you do do not rent off dermot mcgettigan letting agents...absolute c*nt to say it nicely! theres plenty of good places about letterkenny to look so dont just pick the first thing you see! go into the IT and ask them for the accomodation list and anythin in sylvan park is always good and contrary to many beliefs there are plenty of good houses in ashlawn if you look about at them!

Thanks for the help guys. He was up there the past few days and put deposit on Ballyraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Had a few friends who stayed in ballyraine and I would avoid them. Fair enough I'v only been in 2 apartments but they were cold, the windows let in an awful draft, the single rooms are tiny (by my standards and I'm certainly not fussy about room size), the fire alarms were too easily set off and constantly beeped (like every 30 seconds it would let off a quiet but annoying beep), and they have those annoying fire doors that close behind you and the 'high-speed' internet is anything but high speed. The double rooms are massive though so if your going for anything go for one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Here is a few tips for first time rents.

1:If you are going for private rent ie. NOT student accom the estate agents will be willing to bargain down the rent by at least 10 euro. so never pay what is advertised.

2: take pictures of anything that you find wrong with the apartment as soon as you move in. or you can bring this to the attention of the landlord. these things can cost you a deposit.

3: YOU CAN GET EVICTED! the social life in college is all well and good but consider that you have neighbors who don't party at any given chance.

4: mummy won't clean up after you. it's a bit of an adjustment but anything you do is your responsibility. regular maintenance is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

mcg1987 wrote: »
    aye ballyraines reli good esp if hes first year! pure parties! before and after ye go out! and there good flats too...fixed up every year so should be like new when ye look at them.
    if you go down the line of house share/rent whatever you do do not rent off dermot mcgettigan letting agents...absolute c*nt to say it nicely!

That's not true, he's been my letting agent for over 2 years now and I have never had a days bother with them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement