Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about fostering

Options
  • 29-08-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all

I hope I have posted this in the correct forum, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am seriously considering applying to foster a child and was just looking for some information from people that are already foster parents regarding what is involved in the process. How long does the application process take? What is the training like should i be accepted as a foster parent? Etc..

I am a single parent to my 12 year old son and believe that I could offer a child a very good home. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

I have thought about fostering aswell. I won't go into too much detail but I would be interested to see the responses you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

No personal experience other than my brother has two foster kids. Difficult but rewarding I would say.

However you might find more answers here:

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumGroup/1255/ForumView/1/Default.aspx

Good luck :)

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dubgal28

No personal experience other than my brother has two foster kids. Difficult but rewarding I would say.

However you might find more answers here:

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/Discussions/tabid/119/ForumGroup/1255/ForumView/1/Default.aspx

Good luck :)

MM

Thanks MM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Fair play to you OP, some many kids out there that need a loving home:)

Thanks Fluffy, well I have taken the first step after a lot of reading up on it and I have decided to go through a private agency, they have sent me the application and as soon as I send it back they will arrange for 2 Social Workers to come out and see me, it will be a long process but hopefully they will find me suitable and I can finally give a child that needs it a loving caring home :)

• Advertisement

Well done. That's brilliant news :)
    I'm planning on giving up work in the next year or so and thinking about doing it then. Good luck with everything and keep us posted on how you are getting on.

Thanks Whoops I will keep you updated as I said its early days yet. And FYI there are actually over 6000 kids in care at the moment here so I would encourage anyone that feels they are in a position to foster to go ahead and do it :)

Advertisement