Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairns to Melbourne, first timer, am I mad??

Options
  • 29-08-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I need some general consensus here! Im gonna be in Cairns in September and I have this mad idea that I wanna buy a bike, get my licence, and bike to Melbourne!
    I love bikes, but could never afford it at home, lessons and insurance were too high. Oz is more affordable for me and I want to do this more than anything but, am I being stupid to try something so epic as a complete newb? Am i potentially putting myself in an early grave?

Im 28, been on a load of bikes as pillion (i know, not worth nuts!) and only ever drove one once before. im pretty sensible on the road but...?!

What do ye think?

(If i dont get back to replys its cos im on the road in Argentina at the mo, i promise Ill check in when ever im at wifi!)

Thanks,

Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its possible.

Some inspiration for you here:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/27869290/That-I-May-Die-Roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭aliocroc

AgileMyth, cheers for that!! Reading the first few pages tells me he was in the exact same position as me!
    Love this

"“Listen horse, you need to think of the clutch as if it’s your birds left tit.... would you be grabbing it in and out like that? Eh? Would ya? No... I don’t ****in think so,she wouldn’t be long about punching your lights out.... nice and smooth... got it?”

Haha!

Will get reading and see what I can take from it!

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Hi Al,

It's a great idea. In fact, I'm hitting Auckland in October and the first order of business is to buy a bike. But...... having looked at the total cost of owning bikes in NZ and Aus, I can tell you they are a lot more expensive to buy. I think the running costs would be lower overall but the initial outlay for the bike is 50% -100% more expensive than here, depending on the bike.

I didn't look into biking in Aus as a learner. Maybe you know more about what is required in terms of lessons/ tests/ wait times/ restrictions etc. at this stage? Will they issue a license to a non citizen/ resident I wonder? I think a lot would depend on the kind of bike you want/ can afford/ is suitable and what your budget will be. I think I'd first look into the requirements and compare it to your timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Go for it! You'll regret it if you don't.

My only concern would be as cantdecide says - will you be able to get a learners permit? All depends on your visa I suppose, if you're a tourist I'd imagine it might not be doable, but if you're on a years working visa or whatever, then it should be.

Would you consider trying to learn to ride before you get to Australia? If you're in South America at the moment, there seem to be lots of people there selling bikes (check out Horizons Unlimited for them), and rules are probably a little more "relaxed" there as regards licensing.

Cantdecide-thanks! not sure on the learners permit thing, have a brother in Melbourne and have him looking into it as of today! im on he years working Visa so Id say it´ll be OK.
    I know Ill have to buy a bike thats on their learner approved list so my field of options is already pretty limited but still have some good choices! The Bro is riding over there for the last year (he has sponsorship) and found it really easy and affordable to get up and running-ie, insurance and gear, he did say the bike was pricier alright but Ive accepted that. Im kinda saying, if I was at home Id be buying to get myself to and from work and thats why I could never justify the price of learning, it seemed like hassle too, plus with the weather and all at home it would have been a bit precarious at times! Oz though presents an opportuinity that I can do something thats a challange for me, see things differently to every backpacker stuck on a bus, and just, be my own boss I guess! So in short, im willing to pay the price of the bike, ill even see if I cant buy new, ill get the AA Mechanic service to view any bike with me and give it the once over!
    South america biking not an option at the mo as Im travelling with a friend but yeah, relaxed would be the word, f-in crazy would be another! Haha!

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    Hi Al,

I think a lot would depend on the kind of bike you want/ can afford/ is suitable and what your budget will be. I think I'd first look into the requirements and compare it to your timetable.

Timetable is approx 2 months, I can do a Q-Ride course and book my learners licence, I already have my Irish Drivers Licence so as to get my learners. Im planning about 2 weeks in Cairns getting set up for the road. I have about 4 grand for a bike, maybe 5 if the bike justifies it.

MikeC101 wrote: »

Would you consider trying to learn to ride before you get to Australia? If you're in South America at the moment?

did consider learning over here Mike but a learners licence wouldnt transfer, checked it out and Oz has an agreement with the US and EU and some other countries, none of those are south american unfortunately! :(

If I was to go for it, and Im leaning more towards it now as ive been doing a bit of reading, any advice on gear or bike selection?

I have to pick from this list...
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/6ac07415-e877-46ca-a81b-d75d1e397f28/lam_scheme_list.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

aliocroc wrote: »
    Oz is more affordable for me

Australia is more expensive than Ireland. I was in Australia (Sydney & drove around New South Wales) in May this year. They didn't have a recession and the AUD is quite strong. Accomodation in motels/hotels ~ AU$110 for a double room. Drink ~ AU$6 for two thirds of a pint (they don't do pints all over australia). Petrol is the only thing I saw cheaper, about €1 per litre. No idea the cost of buying a bike. Renting a bike costs about the same as here (guts of €100 per day).

You'll be going through at least 3 states there (Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria), each state has different licencing laws, so you'll have to check each one. Australia has done things that Ireland is only thinking of doing. E.g. in NSW you don't get a full car licence when you pass your test, you get a 'red P', and can't drive above 90kmph, and can't have more than X people in the car, after 1 year, you get a 'green P', and can't go above 100 kmph (I think), etc. etc. To get an NSW car licence you need to do about 100 hours in a car with another driver (who has to sign your book, doesn't have to be an instructor). I think these things apply to bikes aswell and have power restictions, similar to here. So it might be pretty hard/long to just get a licence over there.

I looked at hiring a bike out there. Some of the littier bikes (~ 250cc) could not be taken more than 100 km from the centre of Sydney, probably cause they are sick of people driving out to the outback, getting lost and dying. I don't know if that's just the hire company's rules, or if there is some law about where you can drive on what kind of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

It would definatly be an amazing experience. Ya lucky git :D. I presume you will be going along the east coast to see all it has to offer but id advise that you break up the trip into smaller trips because the whole distance is over 3500km. Its a COLOSSAL journey and Ive done it in a car and that was tough enough so be prepaired. Bring plenty of water to drink on any long stints and a can of petrol just incase you run out. And dont drive at night because theres a good chance you and your bike could end up smashing into a kangaroo.

Syth wrote: »
    Oz is more affordable for me

Australia is more expensive than Ireland. I was in Australia (Sydney & drove around New South Wales) in May this year. They didn't have a recession and the AUD is quite strong. Accomodation in motels/hotels ~ AU$110 for a double room. Drink ~ AU$6 for two thirds of a pint (they don't do pints all over australia). Petrol is the only thing I saw cheaper, about €1 per litre. No idea the cost of buying a bike. Renting a bike costs about the same as here (guts of €100 per day).

You'll be going through at least 3 states there (Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria), each state has different licencing laws, so you'll have to check each one.....
    ....So it might be pretty hard/long to just get a licence over there....

Yeah the cost of livings more alright, I've heard food is well pricy too! (interestingly the cost of bananas sky rocketed this year since the entire home crop was wiped in the floods-worth more per pound than steak in some places!!) after that tho il either be camping it or hostels! Il save where I can, but spend well on the bike &gear-I figure, screw it, il rough it on the bed &board but if I'm jumping on a bike I'm gonna make sure it's as safe and sound &fully serviced &maintained as possible!

I'm living over there for at least the next year with a view towards finding a job &sponsorship so don't mind investing in the bike, it'll be my everyday transport once I settle in Melbourne! Don't need to consider renting yet

The bros in Victoria & it was a day course, a p permit, get hoirs in & skills down with a 3 day course, apply for the full lic, sit the test, get hours under his belt (which he's still doing) and he reckons he'll be good for a non-learner bike and no learner speed restrictions sometime next year, I'm thinking ill try for the same! The first two courses il do in cairns before setting off!

Need to look into the laws of the other states, have already emailed some instruction schools so we'll see what they advise!!

scudster wrote: »
    It would definatly be an amazing experience. Ya lucky git :D. I presume you will be going along the east coast to see all it has to offer but id advise that you break up the trip into smaller trips because the whole distance is over 3500km. Its a COLOSSAL journey and Ive done it in a car and that was tough enough so be prepaired. Bring plenty of water to drink on any long stints and a can of petrol just incase you run out. And dont drive at night because theres a good chance you and your bike could end up smashing into a kangaroo.

I'm not lucky yet, still not sure about if I'll be let learn over there without an address in the state I'm learning in and without any experience on Aussie roads! Jesus, I wanna do it though!

How long did it take you by car do you mind me askin?

I heard nighttime driving is a bit dodge alright, kangaroos hate motorbikes!! they actually have it on their driving guidelines on the state driving website not to drive at night if you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Being honest that is a mega distance, ive done it by bus and even that was bloody tiring. As a first timer you are going to find that extremely tough. As aspirational and super as it sounds i think its just that.

You'd be better off doing that sort of trip as an experience biker, I personally would not be recommending that to any learner on a bike.

Sorry buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

I'm not lucky yet, still not sure about if I'll be let learn over there without an address in the state I'm learning in and without any experience on Aussie roads! Jesus, I wanna do it though!

How long did it take you by car do you mind me askin?

QUOTE]

We done it over the space of about 6 weeks but we were stopping and staying all along the route. If you want to see the sights and party give your self lots of time. It would be possible to do it in a week (5-700km per day) but you wont see anythin and your arse will be in ribbons and it would be exhausting. The most we done in one day was 800km and it took most of the day. Also I've been biking for a few years and even and hour or 2 in the saddle and your ass will get sore.

Advertisement