Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backtrack 5 wireless problems.

Options
  • 28-08-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all

I recently downloaded a iso of backtrack 5 and i am running it through the wmware workstation.My operating system is windows 7.I am using a wireless eircom connection.I am having problems setting up the wireless on backtrack 5,I have tryd using the internal wireless card on this toshiba laptop which is a realtek rtl8191se wireless card and no joy i also used a usb wireless adapter ralink (getnet GN-331u).The vmware workstation i use recognises both wireless card and usb adapter i used but i cant get any internet connection.I used the command Iwconfig but says no wireless device found.Im only new to using backtrack and if anyone has any help they could give me it would be great thankyou.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

iqon66 wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently downloaded a iso of backtrack 5 and i am running it through the wmware workstation.My operating system is windows 7.I am using a wireless eircom connection.I am having problems setting up the wireless on backtrack 5,I have tryd using the internal wireless card on this toshiba laptop which is a realtek rtl8191se wireless card and no joy i also used a usb wireless adapter ralink (getnet GN-331u).The vmware workstation i use recognises both wireless card and usb adapter i used but i cant get any internet connection.I used the command Iwconfig but says no wireless device found.Im only new to using backtrack and if anyone has any help they could give me it would be great thankyou.

Setup vmware to use bridged mode or NAT for your backtrack vm. Unless your trying to directly access the wireless adapter for injection/monitoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

Damo is correct here. If you do need the wireless adapter for aircrack or whatever, then make sure that it comes up in ifconfig. Try in the terminal:

ifconfig -a

You'll see a few connections there (lo, eth0). You may also see some VmWare stuff also, I only use Virtualbox, so I can't comment on that. You SHOULD see a (wlan0) which shoulf be your wifi card, but in instances, I've seen it misconfigured as eth1.

Play around with it, and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iqon66

My wireless adapter is not compatibe for backtrack thats why its not showing up.When i get my new adapter i will let ye know how i get on.Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

iqon66 wrote: »
    My wireless adapter is not compatibe for backtrack thats why its not showing up.When i get my new adapter i will let ye know how i get on.Thanks for the help.

What would you like to do, use the internet on backtrack, or use the wireless adapter for wifi war driving?

If its just for internet, set your network setting for your backtrack VM to NAT, then it will use the internet via your host (the computer running backtrack), otherwise set it to bridged, then it will directly connect to the router/gateway via your network adapter on he host OS. That way you don't need the wireless adapter inside backtrack.

Advertisement