Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fossil Beavers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Haven't a clue. But I wouldn't be surprised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Beavers have changed little in 7 million years, suggest fossils found in Oregon (known as the "beaver state"):

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/215966/20110919/oldest-american-beaver-fossilized-teeth-castor-7-3-million-years-old-nps.htm

Regarding recedites' question, yes, the European beaver (Castor fiber) DID live in Ireland but apparently only until the Holocene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So is there a complete list somewhere of all the plants and animals that have been found as Irish fossils?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What do you think of this, laughing boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

That post says that the beaver dosn't exist in the fossil record. Which means exactly that. We have no remains. Doesn't mean that it didn't exist here, just that when they did die, they didn't leave much trace. And if they did, then it wasn't found by a competant authority and duly recorded.

Fossilization is an amazingly rare occurance. And then once you hit that lotto jackpot, you have to hit it again to find the darn thing.

So like I said, wouldn't surprize me.

But still....fossil Beaver....

Never thought I'd say those two words.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I am pretty sure I saw "Castor fiber" in a list of Irish fossil finds. Should probably shut up though, because I never keep papers and so I tend to forget where I read this or that.

Advertisement