Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Len Ganley

Options
  • 28-08-2011 5:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Just heard that retired ref Len Ganley has passed away. I only met Len recently last year at Alex Higgin's funeral in Belfast and although he was in remission from cancer he was his usual jovial self.
    Great character and a great ref from the previous golden era of snooker.
    Even after his retirement and through his I'll health Len was a regular feature at snooker events raising money for charity, he earned the nickname, 'Len give me ten' due to his insistence that everyone parted with ten pounds to buy a ticket for his charity!
    Len's son Mike is the current tournament director with the WPBSA and like his dad is a great guy.
    Condolences to Mike and the family.
    RIP Len

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

very sad to hear about the death of len ganley, one of the great all-time referees along with the likes of john williams and john street. he was a very unique referee in that he had a very friendly relationship with all the players and even indulged in various humerous moments such as this in the final frame of the 83 uk final:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng9W4Atl-nU
    RIP Len

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

RIP the 'jolly green giant'.

Advertisement