Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new battery

Options
  • 28-08-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Where is good value around Dublin for one (Deauville) is it worth while paying the extra for a well know brand as I am not a regular rider and I presume the battery losses charge when the bike is just sitting. On another note, is it worth getting a trickle charger and if so are certain ones better.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I'd get a trickle charge for when the bike is in storage. You can get a good one for about €50 in Cotters. You can hard wire the lead for easy charge, just plug and charge when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

A new bike battery will probably come "dry".. be sure you trickle charge it initally.. I bought a bike charger from Halfords (I think) for €35 to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭gipi

A few folk I've spoken to recommend Yuasa batteries as the best for bikes, and recommend Optimate chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you buy a dry battery and fill it with the acid pack make 100% sure that all the plates are clear of bubbles before charging.
    If you charge a battery with air bubbles between the plates the effective lifetime of a battery can be drastically reduced.
    The best way is to tap the battery case as it is filled or gently vibrate it.
    so the bubbles come to the surface and leave it for a while before charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Optimate, that's the one I use. Fab charger. I've mine mounted on the wall.

Advertisement