Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night diving course

Options
  • 28-08-2011 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Thinking of doing a night diving course with oceandivers. Anyone done it? Recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 paul o

i did it last year with them. The course was grand but nothing more than you would have learned by diving with someone that had done a few night dives before and was prepared to talk you through it i.e. use and trust you compass, bring a torch ..... thats pretty much it TBH

I would keep the €190 if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

It's well worth doing a night dive at some point.
    What you're paying for is the gear rental, divemaster guide, tips and pointers, experience in case you get lost and/or panic in the dark.

Oceandivers course consists of 3 dives so thats all the above x 3.

€190 is starting to seem a little cheaper considering prices of individual dives.

As other poster stated it can be done with a competent buddy, a solid dive plan and a good torch.

The Night Dive is considered a speciality and could possibly count towards a qualification later on if you choose to go down that road.

PLUS - you get a nice shiny plastic credit card sized certification card to put in your logbook. :D

I'm going to look into it myself now that I've bought me a nice new torch.

€190 is expensive for 3 dives, especially when 2 of them are shore dives! Especially when you have all of your own gear and fill your own tanks!

Night diving is a great way to enjoy Irish diving as some life comes out that doesnt during the day. And as a bonus it will make you more confident when diving in crap vis or in deep dark wrecks.

For the sake of an extra €200 quid you could join a club and do all of your diving for free from then on. If your paying for 10 dives a year them a club is the way to go

Agreed 190 Euro does seem steep if you have all your own gear. If not then its not a massive cost when you take the price of the dives out of it.

"For the sake of an extra €200 quid you could join a club and do all of your diving for free from then on. If your paying for 10 dives a year them a club is the way to go"

Where is the club that you can get free diving out of for €200? I thought fees to clubs went on the admin of the club, insurance of its members, maintenance of property/equipment and running costs of a boat if there is a club owned one.

i haven't looked into the dive club scene too deeply.
    Can you name a few that might be worth joining?

Hi,

the extra 200 I was refering to was on top of the 190 ie 390 in total.

the club I am in is through work so the membership is restricted but most clubs out there are arounf the 400 quid from what I have been told an that this was to cover all of your local diving.

If you take the fact that OD charge 39 euros a dive then after 10 dives you would have paid for the cost associated with joining a club and have insurance as well (€100 goes to CFT for that)

• Advertisement

My mistake I didn't realise/read it properly that the 200Euro was additional. :o
    I must look into it further for next year. You'ed have to get a minimum amount of dives in to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Yeah for my CFT I have to pass Club Diver before Night Diving with a club (almost there). Depends on how compartmentalised you need/want to get with you training, I'm not in a rush to do Night Diving. But Padi is a great way to tick boxes. With my CFT club, more dives you go out on the more money you save on each dive. Again depends on amount of diving throughout the year & equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I wouldn't pay €190 for a night diving course. I'd rather spend the money on a good torch and a backup torch. Best go with a competent buddy, have your backup torch, start with a shallow shore dive and plan it well and take take it slow on the dive. Get familiar with the back-light settings on your dive computer before the dive.

Remember to agree a point where you stop, go on your knees and turn off the torches and check out the bioluminescence! ;)

Advertisement