Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nascar, not just a sport where rednecks drive around in circles!!!!

Options
  • 27-08-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

To make this clear from the start i am a big big F1, Wrc , Indy and moto gp fan..basically any form of motorsport..for that very reason i am also a big Nascar fan..Nascar for me is one of the best forms of motorsport in the world..very very pure racing..Man and machine and very little else..Beinga fan of the sport, there is omne thing that seriously annoys me and this is idiots referring to the sport as dumb, boring and just 43 rednecks driving in circles..Normally what i find is that these people know nothing about the sport and would have never actually sat down and watched a race....If someone watched a Daytona 500 or a race from talladega and werent impressed then for me true motorsports fan...You tell me running at 200 mph for 500 miles per hour inches away from 42 other gusy doesnt take an enormous amount of talent or an enormous amount of bravery...I have been to f1 races in Silverstone and Imola, and they wer amazing..the sound the excitment was unreal..This year i went to Daytona and i was absolutley blown away with the spectacle..By god do those americans know how to put on a show..Unreal...

I was debating about whether or not to come on here amd say something but i just had to say something in response from the ignorant and snobbish point of view that some people hold towards nascar.....Am i on my own or do people agree with me..?

I have also attached a video of one of the greatest drivers ever in world motorsports in my opinion..
    [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD1J9wqgaV0]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I am inclined to agree, Nascar is pretty good.
    I love when they race on regular circuits as those Nascars do not handle twisty turns so the races do be action packed.

Off topic: Great user name. Neville Bartos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Neville Bartos

Ya the races in sonoma or watkins glen are often fantastic races..As u say the cars are just not built for those circuits....I love to see respect between f1 and nascar drivers... D Waltrip for example is a big F1 fan....And remember Jeff gordon testing with williams..it wasnt a big secret that Frank Williams tried to get Gordon in an F1 car..These guys are very talented drivers and it just makes me very thick when i hear people rubbish the sport...

and this is the respect im talking about!!!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq6mVAXegyw

Ya Neville 'The Albanian'...haha..Chopper...legend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Usually the people that spout crap NASCAR or F1 being easy, don't know much about it. Either through ignorance or stupidity take your pick. That's just how it is. The truth is that they could both learn something from each other.

I've always been partial to NASCAR and oval racing, worked with a couple of teams in the truck series. My background is euro stuff though, karts, formula opel, zetec, the usual diet.
    Ovals are something you have to get close to to understand and appreciate, TV doesn't do it any justice at all. Often you'll hear something like Daytona is easy because its flat all the way round. Well, if you are flat to the board and have a good motor but end up .7 off pole (AKA a lifetime), then what? That's where the skill comes in, its not apparent when you look at the drivers sawing at the wheel in the cockpit, but oval racing requires quite a bit of sensitivity. For sure, not something you would associate with NASCAR and I know its sounds hilarious, but its true. Another thing about Daytona is how much the cars move around when they get into a pack, again you really don;t see it on TV but those things are NOT stable going around there!
    One of the most respected authors of race car engineering books (Carroll Smith) once said that he thought he knew smooth, until he started work on ovals. It was a whole new level of smooth. Again though, its not apparent on TV.

F1 fanbois need to realize righty's arent the be all and end all of racing.
    NASCAR brown nosers need to get that aero doesn't mean you can just pick speed and turn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I wouldn't say that there are too many posters here who look down their noses at nascar. To be honest at the start of the year I posted a thread asking what new series were people interested in starting to watch and most posters said nascar. Later in the year a lot of people said nascar was a guilty pleasure of theirs. At the start of the year the nascar thread was one of the more popular threads.
    Personally I really enjoy it and am hoping to get to race later in the year to see it in the flesh.
    I hate it when people talk down the seeies because it is, by and large, people who havent taken the time to watch a few races

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I got a little bored/fatigued of it tbh, far too many races for me. Also the need to find a crappy stream to watch and sit with the laptop on my chest for 4/5 hours isn't worth it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

would watch every race if i could, but it would require subscribing to setanta for one sport which i just cant afford atm so have to make do with the odd stream of the bigger races

The NASCAR races are a fair-bit drawn out though, no denying that! If I remember, I usually just slap one on while to do other stuff.
    This might give you an insight into why they can be yellow flag happy, aside from the commercial aspect of course.

Warning, some of these are very nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The NASCAR races are a fair-bit drawn out though, no denying that! If I remember, I usually just slap one on while to do other stuff.
    This might give you an insight into why they can be yellow flag happy, aside from the commercial aspect of course.

A lot of the fatalities in NASCAR were down to ridiculously out-of-date and, to be frank, disgusting disregard for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

well this is what i mean by watch every race, it was great when the races were on sky sports and open access because you could leave them on in the back round while doing something else, which for me would normally be some sort of pc gaming

play a bit of iracing now and then the only stockcar i have is the street stock though, but my god its good fun to drive on the half mile ovals

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Neville Bartos

Souper comp you talk a lot of sense..(by the way why does every nascar vid have Lynard Skynard soundtrack)...hahahahaha!!...I think before Dales death in 01 Nascar prided otself on being a bit dangerous..i mean most if the drivers raced with open faced helmets at 200mph against concrete walls..Madness when we look back at it, but at the time it was jus the norm..It was and still is very mmuch a peoples sport and very acccesible...When i was at Daytona this year i stayed in the infield and i could have not have been made feel more welcome..This is very different in comparison to a British Gp in Silverstone where the person camping next door couldnt care less who you were......Im going back to Florida in Feb for the 500 and i cant wait....this sound is simply amazing..Hoooyaahh!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVgSJqX034s

• Advertisement

If you think they sound good at Daytona, you should checkout a non-restrictor plate track. Somewhere like Michigan or Chicagoland they rev like they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I for one have zero interest in it.

South Parks sums it up well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnutXjBt6LU&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I watch it occasionally. The races are too long and the amount of Safety cars is unreal so im not a major fan.

Advertisement