Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming A Pilot

Options
  • 27-08-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

I am a 17 year old student and I am starting 6th year.:eek:

I want to become a commercial pilot, because I like travelling and money:D.
    However I don't have the money to get a private license so I think I will try my luck at getting into the Air Corps as I have been told they will train you after 7 years to be a commercial pilot. But from what I have read this is no mean feat.

I also don't know what would be the best airline for me if, in the future I can get a job?

But my main question is should I try my luck with the air corps?Or possibly the RAF?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

To join the RAF as a Pilot you have to be a UK Citizen , It used to be different a few years back and they used to accept Irish citizens but not any more....

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/pilot.cfm

As for the Air Corps just pick up the phone and give them a call, but its not easy to get a in as a cadet....

http://www.military.ie/careers/air-corp/cadetships

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I also don't know what would be the best airline for me if, in the future I can get a job?
    The best airline is the one that offers you a job. That's the tricky bit, getting to the point where someone offers you a job.

Read the Aer Lingus cadetship thread. Also check out pprune.org and be prepared to be disillusioned.

BTW if you like travelling and money, perhaps another job might be better for you. Unless you get the Air Corps you will be in debt for a long time.

Being a pilot is all about the flying, if you like flying, it's the job for you. If you like travelling and money become a holiday rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Read the Aer Lingus cadetship thread. Also check out pprune.org and be prepared to be disillusioned.

Ye checked out pprune.org thanks very much. Is commercial piloting still a well paid job though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

The air corps would be a sweet gig if you could get it and if it was suited to your personality.

It's not for everyone. You're a military officer as well as a pilot and you have to do military training before you learn to fly and carry out military duties as part of your job.

It's also notoriously difficult to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I would love to be in the Air Corps, I did a TY trip to Baldonnel two years ago and everyone seems to be happy. I am also preparing for the training. I live in the Curragh Camp so I am well aware of all the training the cadets must go through.

But I really just want to use it as a stepping stone to being a commercial pilot, and im not sure if this is the best idea?

• Advertisement

But I really just want to use it as a stepping stone to being a commercial pilot, and im not sure if this is the best idea?
    It is a good idea just don't tell them that. Tell them you aspire to being Chief of Staff but don't tell them you really want to be an airline pilot. But most Air Corps move onto civilian flying jobs eventually. But remember you will be up against guys who really, really, really want to be an Air Corps pilot and a military officer and nothing else. I was like that.

As skyking says you do have to fit in an military officer and spend ten or twelve years serving in the Air Corps. It's not all about flying either. Air Corps pilots spent relatively fewer hours in the air than civilian pilots. You will have other duties while flying a desk. You might be totally frustrated.

Realistically if you want to be a pilot you will have to do it the hard way. If you have the motivation and drive you will get there eventually even if it seems like a huge mountain to climb. Other people with no money starting off managed it.

Incidentally on the point of the Air Corps, I know several lads who enlisted in the Air Corps over the years. They had various roles like signaller, ATC, became Corporals and Sergeants etc. They got to fly in all the Air Corps even handling some in the air. They used their time off to learn to fly. I remember speaking to an Air Corps officer who told me that one of his Sergeants had more hours than him because he worked part time as a civilian Instructor. A lot of the money spent on flying came from serving in the Lebanon etc. I'm not sure if there are any going the same route but it's an idea.

On the other hand if it's merely an idle fantasy it will never happen. So first things first. Ask yourself if you really want it. If the answer is yes. Then get on with it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭GoGoGadget

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I am a 17 year old student and I am starting 6th year.:eek:

I want to become a commercial pilot, because I like travelling and money:D.
    However I don't have the money to get a private license so I think I will try my luck at getting into the Air Corps as I have been told they will train you after 7 years to be a commercial pilot. But from what I have read this is no mean feat.

But my main question is should I try my luck with the air corps?Or possibly the RAF?

Lots of good advice there and your young yet so plenty of time. I would say if you haven't already get a trial lesson to see if you like it. Also focus on doing really well on your LC this year.

The Air Corps used to advertise around January but seem to be advertising around June/July now. Lot of competition for a few places but if you put your mind to it and do your research you can do well. Training can take up to 3 years and I believe your on a 12 year commission with them after training.

The RAF wouldn't be an option unless your a UK citizen, just to note in the past it was Irish lads who were born before we became a Republic who could get in as they had dual citizenship (think that's the expression..) The RAF let a lot of cadets go due to budget cuts recently.

Check out Aer Lingus, BA, Cathay Pacific as they are currently running cadetships. West Atlantic do take cadets with a PPL and full driving licence if you plan on getting them. Also keep an eye on Emirates..

I would say before you start committing yourself is to get a good degree in something non aviation as there are 100's if not more lads with a fATPL and jobless or working in other sectors. It's tough out there at the moment. I know one guy who was made redundant about 5 times in airlines but was a maths lecturer in his previous life and had something solid to fall back on to feed the kiddies.

Also important would be to get a class 1 medical, costs a lot but can potentially save you more!! After a year it reverts back to a class 2 medical needed for PPL for a few years (4 or 5) so it will come in useful even if you don't get your fATPL straight away.

Best of luck with whatever you chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

There's a course in DCU that can lead u to a pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

well and truely dont know how useful this will be but my girlfriend is german, and her brother is currently training to be a pilot with this crowd

http://www.intercockpit.com/index.php?id=8&L=1

he got turned down from lufthansa but then head hunted by their lower level pilot training...dont get how but anyway...check it out...dunno if its any use.
    EDIT
    i should add, it's his dream to be a pilot.

There's a course in DCU that can lead u to a pilot
    Not quite, in fact it's an aviation management degree. The flight training part is optional and you will have to pay the full amount for the flight training yourself. If you JUST want to be a pilot there is a cheaper way.

Unless you get the Air Corps or one of the exceptionally rare sponsored cadetships. You end up having to pay, even the Aer Lingus cadetship expects you to pay for your training.

The school linked to in eldwaro's post charges between €50 and €69k for training, not including living expenses.

The OP's problem, like most of us, is lack of money. Getting the money to become a pilot is the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nevevix

hi all!! was wondering has any one any information on the new integrated course in NFC in weston? I am applying to do the assessment and really dont know whether to do an integrated or modular course! I really dont know what school is better Atlantic Air or NFC.... is it true that if you are from an integrated course, airlines are more likely to hire you? i know some people did modular but CPL, MEIR in Ireland and have gotten jobs straight away with ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I heard something on the radio about pilot training course in the UK where they give you a loan (might be 0% interest or low interest) for your training and you start paying back once you're working as a pilot.
    Google it and should find it.

Advertisement