Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hammerhead shark fossils found in Spain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thanks Adam good find.

I have two points
    1, I can't speak Spanish. So I dunno what they are actually saying.

2. How do they know the teeth are from a Hammerhead shark? I can understand knowing they're are from a shark, but I have trouble getting my head around how they know the shark was hammerhead. If they had found fossil evidence of it being a hammerhead they would have said a Hammerhead shark fossil, not shark teeth from a Hammerhead, if you understand what I mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Thanks Adam good find.

I have two points
    1, I can't speak Spanish. So I dunno what they are actually saying.

2. How do they know the teeth are from a Hammerhead shark? I can understand knowing they're are from a shark, but I have trouble getting my head around how they know the shark was hammerhead. If they had found fossil evidence of it being a hammerhead they would have said a Hammerhead shark fossil, not shark teeth from a Hammerhead, if you understand what I mean.

Basically, they're saying what I said above :D Not much else really. They think it's a hammerhead because they are identical to those of Sphyrna lewini which still lives today.
    No, they didn´t find the hammer XD

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

For those interested, the wiki page for the scalloped hammerhead (the type this is believed to be):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalloped_hammerhead

Advertisement