Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions for UCD Please!!!

Options
  • 27-08-2011 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

We have just got off campus accommodation on Kenilworth square, rathgar and I was wondering whats the best way to get to Ucd from the square.....I dont have a car so driving is out of the question

I was told that the best way was to walk to ranelagh and then get the 17 bus to ucd.......Could someone confirm that this is the quickest way?? I was told that it would take 10 mins to walk to the bus stop and then 10 on the bus to UCd...

Or if anyone knows a quicker way then please let me know....

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm not sure how you'd do it by bus!

Try www.hittheroad.ie and put the start point as your house and the end point as the main entrance of UCD (or the Owenstown entrance is where the 17 comes into campus, and it leaves by the main entrance), but I tried that and the suggestions look not so nice!

To be really honest, I think cycling would be your best option, it's about 4.3 kms, which definitely wouldn't take any longer than 15 minutes, 20 at most (given that I'm only guessing where the house is on google maps in the above link).

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Buy a bicycle.

You can walk to Ranelagh and get the 11 bus.
    You can walk to Terenure and get the 17 bus.

Long walk, not very predictable bus in both cases.
    The cycle would take less time than the walk alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

graduate wrote: »
    Buy a bicycle.

You can walk to Ranelagh and get the 11 bus.
    You can walk to Terenure and get the 17 bus.

Long walk, not very predictable bus in both cases.
    The cycle would take less time than the walk alone.

How long would the walk to Ranelagh and terenure take??

By bike would i take the same route as walking or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

How long would the walk to Ranelagh and terenure take??

By bike would i take the same route as walking or what???

Have you even bothered to look at the links in **Timbuk2**'s post? You would cycle by Milltown Road as shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Just-A-Phase

I used to take the 7.50am 17 bus from Nutgrove shopping for 9am lectures in my second year, most mornings I was in late due to the bus being unreliable(showing up late or not at all) and then the horrendous morning traffic due to all the primary and secondary schools in the area, the Terenure stop is further away than this which would mean getting an even early bus. Definitely regret not just cycling each morning! Its just not worth it when you're moving to Dublin to be more convenient for college and then spending nearly an hour on a bus and paying at least 15 euro a week for it, especially considering rent prices. If you don't have any 9 starts the 17 is slightly more reliable as there is less traffic during the day but you're still realistically talking a half hour journey.

I have little experience with the 11 so can't comment on that but cycling is by far the best option IMO, particularly during exam periods when you may want to get to the library early.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone it looks like cycling would be a good option....how long would the cycle take if i was to take the suggested route??Just so i know roughly....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

Thanks everyone it looks like cycling would be a good option....how long would the cycle take if i was to take the suggested route??Just so i know roughly....

15-20 mins. Why not get the lend of a bike and have a test cycle before you go and buy?

getleft wrote: »
    15-20 mins. Why not get the lend of a bike and have a test cycle before you go and buy?

I think ill bring a bike up with me....and test out the route during orientation week...Might try the bus routes too....

Thanks every1 for all the help...much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

I might be wrong but i think you can get the 18 from kenilworth and get off at the n11(the big road that goes through donnybrook and straight to ucd). Then its just a few minutes from there to ucd on the 46a,145, and a few others too cant remember now but theyre fairly frequent.

This is just off the top of my head dunno how practical it would be and I know its two buses but you can get the 10 journey travel ninety ticket for 19 euro which lets you get as many buses as you want within 90 minutes of your first. I think they're might be a cheaper student version too.

Advertisement