Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mark 4 Golf, door light and engine noise

Options
  • 27-08-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Have a bog standard mark 4 Golf (00 1.4 petrol). No central locking, winding windows etc.

Had a problem with the door light. When I open the drivers door the light does not come on. However if I leave the headlights on the buzzer still works to let me know.

When I open all the other doors it works fine and even the sil light on the drivers door will come on. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe a fuse or something but not sure! I've had the door apart a couple of weeks ago replacing the locks but couldn't see anything else it could be?

One other mechanical issue, there seems to be a "ticking" noise coming from the engine. This occurs when it is both idling and driving. Generally occurs when cold in the mornings and if I drive it hard it'll go after about 5 minutes. Any ideas?

The car also squeals when it starts and it's cold out. Think this might have something to do with the fan belt but just wondering if anyone has managed to solve this problem on their cars? I've read on other forums that even if the belt is tightened it comes back fairly quickly!

Thanks for any/all help, much appreciated! :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭muckeyw

The ticking noise is coming from the purge canister under the bonnet and I think there is a switch on the sill of the car where the doors mates with the car that's what closes the circuit to let the light come on on the inside of the car.also the squealing noise could be the fan belt the tensoniers on them engines on the fan belt can be troublesome all in all if u have any other questions sure just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Temporary Dub

muckeyw wrote: »
    The ticking noise is coming from the purge canister under the bonnet and I think there is a switch on the sill of the car where the doors mates with the car that's what closes the circuit to let the light come on on the inside of the car.also the squealing noise could be the fan belt the tensoniers on them engines on the fan belt can be troublesome all in all if u have any other questions sure just ask.
    Thanks muckey, giving her a service today so hopefully will get those issues sorted at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I am a bit confused about your light problem.

Your door light issue is that when you open the drivers door the door sill light and interior lights do not come on?

If so there is a switch inside the door latch (separate thing to the locks you replaced) which gets dirty and sticks. The only repair is to take the door apart and replace the latch or give it a good clean.

When I open my passenger door I get no sill light or interior lights. I can get it sometimes if I pole the latch with a screwdriver but only monetarily.

I would lean towards thinking its the switch and that the lights buzzer is a separate sensor to the one in the latch. My car went through a phase of not buzzing when I left the lights on. Someone told me at night and I cant remember the interiors not coming on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

^^ Defo the switch in the door I would think, I've that issue now due to my own making. I put some grease in the lock and that obviously got into the sensitive switch mechanism and stopped it from working properly.

Taking the door apart is a bit of a job but I might have a look at doing it when I've time.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Temporary Dub

bbk wrote: »
    I am a bit confused about your light problem.

Your door light issue is that when you open the drivers door the door sill light and interior lights do not come on?

If so there is a switch inside the door latch (separate thing to the locks you replaced) which gets dirty and sticks. The only repair is to take the door apart and replace the latch or give it a good clean.

When I open my passenger door I get no sill light or interior lights. I can get it sometimes if I pole the latch with a screwdriver but only monetarily.

I would lean towards thinking its the switch and that the lights buzzer is a separate sensor to the one in the latch. My car went through a phase of not buzzing when I left the lights on. Someone told me at night and I cant remember the interiors not coming on :/

I think you're right about the light switch and the buzzer being different.

I'm raging as i took the door off a few weeks ago to fix the window regulator! Didn't get a chance to have a look when servicing yesterday i may wait until i get home next weekend so! At least ive the oil and the filters replaced anyway. . .

As regards the noise in the engine it appears to be something electric ticking in the engine. Muckeyw mentioned the purge cannister. Anyone know what to do to try fix this issue?

Again cheers for any help, my knowledge of specifics wouldn't be the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

As regards the noise in the engine it appears to be something electric ticking in the engine. Muckeyw mentioned the purge cannister. Anyone know what to do to try fix this issue?

I stand open to correction here but perhaps thats the way it supposed to be. I just thought it was normal on mine and since it isn't that loud and doesn't seem to affect it I took no notice.

I only second guessed it when you mentioned it OP, I must read up on what a purge cannister does anyhow in a minute :p

Advertisement