Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Society for Video Games?

Options
  • 27-08-2011 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Having looked a bit into the Gamers society it seems they're more focused on RPGs,LARPs, card games, etc than video games. So I was wondering if there are any other good societies involved with video gaming? I recall reading something about the Sci-Fi Soc playing video games, but does anyone know of any others?
    Cheers in advance for any help anyone can offer :D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shenlok

DUCSS and SciFi are the two that come to mind for me... Not so much Netsoc :/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, though officially the LANs are Netsocs(IIRC), gaming is more DUCSS's thing. Scifi have PS3/360/Wiii if you're a console head while DUCSS have a PS3 and PCs(fair bit of SC2 and LoL goes on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 IllusionedEyes

I'm definitely more of a console gamer than a PC gamer, so SciFi it is then :D Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dongasaurus

I'd recommend joining a few socs, if you're doing science doing the trek up to the scifi room is a real pain whereas the DUCSS room is easy to get to. It's the other way round if you do arts.

DUCSS actually has a fairly big variety of consoles, Dreamcast, ps2, ps3, 360 (when it works :S) so I wouldn't count them out on consoles :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 SlyNeko

I'm a console gamer too and after trying out both sf and ducss, I much prefer ducss. Sf was a bit too cliquey and crowded for my liking. Ducss have xboxs, ps3s and a dreamcast with tonnes of games and have gaming nights every week ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WillD

SlyNeko wrote: »
    .... Sf was a bit too cliquey and crowded for my liking...

...and ducss isn't?

(ducss is grand though really)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'd be biased anyways sly being in CS. For a non CS persons POV both would be equally cliquey IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I've heard great things about SFSoc and DUCCS for computer games. You're right that we in Gamers tend to focus on the more traditional end of the spectrum, but feel free to check us out as well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Raawron

Can we not start our own society that's solely for video games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Raawron wrote: »
    Can we not start our own society that's solely for video games?

Regardless of the fact that Gamers don't really do video games, a solely video games based society might not be approved on the grounds that Gamers ought to be covering it. That and also the fact that it's well known that between Netsoc, Sci-fi and DUCSS you have PC gaming, console gaming and tournaments, and LANs all covered, along with a group of people who are almost certainly into gaming in the first place. It's this logic that prevented an Anime Society from being approved, since it was seen to be within the remit of Sci-Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Regardless of the fact that Gamers don't really do video games, a solely video games based society might not be approved on the grounds that Gamers ought to be covering it.

Video games aren't properly within our remit. They are, however, within the remit of Netsoc, DUCSS, and/or Sci-Fi, so a society for videogames is unlikely to get approval.

Gamers' remit covers boardgames (except chess), nonstandard cardgames (for poker or bridge, see Cardsoc), roleplaying games, live-action roleplaying games, and wargames. We do discuss and play video games, and occasionally organise LAN nights, but they're not central to what we do as a society.

Advertisement