Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undinominated engineering

Options
  • 26-08-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey,
    just wondering has anybody done the undinominated engineering course in NUIG? Is it hard? I may have the opportunity to do that course or definetly do Civil Engineering in GMIT?? What do ye think??
    Thanks,
    Gavin.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭WeightierDisc

Hi,I have not done this course but my brother on the other hand has and I have just accepted an offer to do biomedical engineering in NUIG. All engineering courses are very intensive. First year in particular you would have twice as many hours as some of your peers in other degree programs such as law. It is a very difficult course, particularly the mathematics element but if you have a flair for maths and engineering the this is the course for you provided that you are willing to put in the work! just realise that you'l have to sacrifice alot of craic and that it's no easy ride but you'll come out at the end with a degree that'll walk you into a job faster than many others (my brothers opinion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I actually have managed to do Civil Engineering in both colleges. I did the ordinary degree in GMIT and did 2 extra years in NUIG to get the honours degree. Back then the points for Civil Eng in GMIT were nearly 400 (I think they've nearly halved since). That course was actually qiuet tough, probably tougher than my two years in NUIG (at least it felt that way). I felt the work load for my two years in NUIG (3rd and final year) was a bit lighter in 3rd year at least.

The one thing I can't do is tell you what 1st and 2nd year in Civil or Undenominated are like, but from people I know who did either found it fairly intensive with a lot of maths and physics subjects. The stuff we did in GMIT was a lot more practical at that stage at least.

I think if I were you I'd probably do the undenominated, there are a lot more branches of engineering that you can go into. If you were to do the Civil Engineering course in GMIT you might find the standard too low as I think the points are very low right now. If you have the points for undenominated there's no reason you could'nt do the course, if you like maths and don't mind putting in a decent amount of work.

One thing I might mention is the difference in the way subjects are thought. Lecturers in GMIT in general are more clued into to the art of teaching than those in NUIG. The lecturers here are grand but generally not as approachable and geared towards lecturing as those in GMIT. The lecturers in NUIG are by in large very genuine but they don't have the same relationship with their undergrad students. Thats probably down to the fact that most of them are deep into research that keep them occupied.

Also: When you say you may get offered it, do you mean in the further rounds of the CAO? I don't know what the likelyhood of that would be tbh. I'm guessing you've been given two offers one Level 8 and one Level 7 (Civil Eng GMIT) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Just finished first undenom last year.Was pretty hard but no too bad.First semester was way tougher than 2nd.Didn't even feel like college casue you were in from 9-6 most days."nd semester was a different story though got to relax a lot more and half as many lectures.Its also a good way of finiding out which discipline you really enjoy the most.

Advertisement