Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education

Options
  • 26-08-2011 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I am currently on job seekers allowence and have been offered a fulltime college coarse 25 miles from home in Cork city. I currently recieve 150 euro weekly having been assesed 12 months ago, Wife works part time and we have 2 kids and all the normal household bills and mortgage. My question is will i still recieve my 150 or will it go up to the normal rate for a qualified welfare reciepant with qualified wife and children.
    Travelling 50miles daily and childcare occasionally will take its toll on us fianacially.My wife is not exactly raking in the money either she just has an average part time salary for 20hrs a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

A lot depends on the type of course you are undertaking, duration level etc. You should apply for the BTEA and if both course and yourself satisfy the requirements you should be entitled to the full single rate on BTEA.

You will receive no additional allownaces for travel as you will not be entitled to any grant if you are awarded BTEA, regardless of how far your commute is.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

what about vtos, its run by them, this seems like you are an employee of them, similar to fas, sorry solas and get a training bonus of over 30 euro and solas travel and meal rates according to the leaflet i have from the inou.http://www.inou.ie/download/pdf/education_options_pdf.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Sorry, dont know too much about VTOS, other than you get an additional allowance and books and materials are generally free. Not sure what the travel rates are FAS website will provide you with this. However, some of the VTOS courses are brilliant stepping stones for a pursuit into third level education.

Advertisement