Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-time biker!?!

Options
  • 26-08-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I just bought my first proper bike and will be selling the car in the next month or two. Depending on how finances are at that stage I may, or may not, buy a little 1 litre run around for those bad winter days.

This, however, is not a given and I could be looking at being a full-time biker. Any advice for me on this, what I'll need etc? Winter biking 101 :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

What bike did you get? This will actually factor in the winter biking -- naked bikes are not much fun in the winter (wind/rain etc.), where as a touring or sports bike is going to give you much more weather protection.

I bike almost every day of the year (unless there's snow), and for the winter season I have the following setup:

- thermal layers
    - goretex/waterproof jacket + pants
    - goretex/waterproof boots
    - goretex/waterproof gloves
    - heated grips (these make such a difference)

When it gets very cold (or I have to go a long distance) I've got a heated waistcoat that I plug into the bike which keeps me toasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

As above but I also have a spare set of gloves, mine seem to take ages to dry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

colm_c wrote: »
    What bike did you get? This will actually factor in the winter biking -- naked bikes are not much fun in the winter (wind/rain etc.), where as a touring or sports bike is going to give you much more weather protection.

It's a CBF500, it has a small front screen but it ain't much :rolleyes:

I got a pair of those weatherproof overalls from Lidl when they were out but haven't had a chance to test them out yet; I might wear them in the shower in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

dceire wrote: »
    It's a CBF500, it has a small front screen but it ain't much :rolleyes:

I got a pair of those weatherproof overalls from Lidl when they were out but haven't had a chance to test them out yet; I might wear them in the shower in the morning :D

I've got a rain suit too, but I find that I only use it for longer spins, it's a pain commuting with it as it's another layer to put on, and take off.

It's also looks very funny to everyone else when your putting it on over the rest of your bike gear!

It does keep you bone dry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I would recommend waterproof socks too. About €30-40 but worth every penny as they not only keep your feet bone dry but are also warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I also sold my Jeep and am solely using the bike. I do plan on getting something bigger next year. I have most of the Gore-tex gear. Thankfully I live close enough to work to walk if the weather turns ugly

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's tough but doable.

Try getting hard hand guards for the bike, great wind protection and might save the brake / clutch lever if you do drop the bike (very likely when riding in snow).

Also some crash protection would be a good investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I do it, but if we have snow like the last couple of years make sure you have access to public transport or a lift too. It depends on your commute.
    All the gear I have is:
    Flip up helmet
    Good waterproof boots.
    2 Pairs of gloves. One light breathable summer ones, one heavier winter ones.
    Good bike jacket, thats my one. Removable lining and plenty of vents. This works well for the summer and the winter.
    Waterproof trousers. I have 2 types. Heavy pair for long runs with built in braces, light pair that go over jeans. Heres the heavy ones.

My commute is all city and I wear jeans most of the time. Always carry the spare gloves and light waterproofs in a pannier. If I did a longer commute I'd wear the proper trousers more. I have a decent screen and hand guards which are both great for keeping the cold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Boots pants and jacket do me. The ould hands go numb fair quick with the snow but its great for a freezing cold "stranger" when you get home :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

If you ever get stuck and you need an extra layer in cold weather a newspaper spread across your chest under your jacket does wonders for keeping the heat in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Blondie919 wrote: »
    If you ever get stuck and you need an extra layer in cold weather a newspaper spread across your chest under your jacket does wonders for keeping the heat in.

Them tramps cant be too wrong then !! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dceire wrote: »
    Ok, so I just bought my first proper bike and will be selling the car in the next month or two. Depending on how finances are at that stage I may, or may not, buy a little 1 litre run around for those bad winter days.

This, however, is not a given and I could be looking at being a full-time biker. Any advice for me on this, what I'll need etc? Winter biking 101 :p

Maintenance is a bastard but necessary. Keep the chain cleaned and oiled. I have two odometer counters, I use one for fuel and one for chain. Every 200 kilometers fuel up and oil up, every 1k clean and oil. Keep a eye on the brakes and oil as well. Far more then you would a car.

Tyres are important. Huge difference between them in terms of mileage and grip. Angel ST's are the best in my opinion, but you really only get about 10k out of them. Lasts about 9 nine months for me. For this you need to keep a eye on them, your running on canvas before you realize.

Gear is covered above, all good advice. Remember, a cold biker is a mentally slow biker. And a mentally slow biker is a dead biker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Snow is an absolute cnut, and made even worse with a 100hp, rear wheel drive, 200kg bike with the tyre contact patch of a couple boxes of cigarettes. You know you're in for an 'interesting' commute, when the bike is sidestepping just going up the driveway...

If I wasnt on the luas line, I'd be picking up a cheap low power 125 (prob a tw125), for the snow/ice days. Something I wouldnt be afraid of dropping a couple of times each day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Wossack wrote: »
    If I wasnt on the luas line, I'd be picking up a cheap low power 125 (prob a tw125), for the snow/ice days. Something I wouldnt be afraid of dropping a couple of times each day

Hoping to move house soon and should be able to get the bus or train to work when the weather gets really bad.

Advertisement