Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro (13" 2.66GHz) RAM upgrade

Options
  • 26-08-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a 13" MacBook Pro 2.66GHz late 2010 model and I want to upgrade the RAM that I have in it. Currently there is 2GB in it that I had with the device and I want to upgrade that to 8GB.
    From what I have heard from lads on this thread Crucial is the brand that you should go for. Here is the RAM that I have my eyes on.

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=40EC1058A5CA7304

I just want to quickly get some reassurance before I go ahead and purchase the product.

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yep, that should be fine. However, that's the 17-inch model MBP you linked to. It takes the same RAM though.

That’s a damn good price. I didn't realise RAM had dropped so much already. Must bump my MBP to 8GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Yep, that should be fine. However, that's the 17-inch model MBP you linked to. It takes the same RAM though.

That’s a damn good price. I didn't realise RAM had dropped so much already. Must bump my MBP to 8GB.

Yeah that's the main reason why I wanted to check... I saw that they had 17" written at the top but I didn't think that that would make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭mcw92

I upgraded my 13" from 2Gb to 8GB 7 months ago.
    There was a huge improvement.
    Before i could just about run FM11 and have a busy safari session open.
    Now i can run a busy Safari, Chrome, iTunes, FM11 and even Virtual Box at once. I payed around 95$ for mine though :/

mcw92 wrote: »
    I upgraded my 13" from 2Gb to 8GB 7 months ago.
    I payed around 95$ for mine though :/

Where did you pick it up and what make was it?

On another note... I opened up my laptop today just to have a look around. I was surprised to see that the 2GB ram was with one single chip and not 2x1GB. Not sure why I was expecting two, maybe because of all my Dell laptops (back in the day) with 2 x 512MB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple do the same thing. In actual fact, all the mid-2010 MacBook Pros came with 4GB (2 x 2GB) of RAM as standard. So it looks like someone robbed the other 2GB chip on you.

• Advertisement

Apple do the same thing. In actual fact, all the mid-2010 MacBook Pros came with 4GB (2 x 2GB) of RAM as standard. So it looks like someone robbed the other 2GB chip on you.

mine is a late 2010 13" 2.66 GHz

Those f**kers!

I sent my MBP in for repair into "Back From The Future" two days ago. I'm so lucky that I looked in it and you mentioned it to me.

What do I do?

Someone in the lab must have either a) forgot to put it in or b) nicked it out of my laptop

There is no late 2010 MBP. You might have bought it in late 2010, but the model was released in April of that year.

Are you certain there was 4GB in there previously?

There is no late 2010 MBP. You might have bought it in late 2010, but the model was released in April of that year.

Are you certain there was 4GB in there previously?

Well I have never opened the back of that laptop before. They would have been the first people to open it since purchase.

And you bought it new from Apple?

And you bought it new from Apple?

I bought it from Apple online in late june early july 2010. I'm sure the warranty seal would have been still on the battery when they removed it.

• Advertisement

Have you noticed a slowdown since you got it back?

Have you noticed a slowdown since you got it back?

Somewhat yes. However I thought that that might have been due to the water damage. But yea I noticed today when I was playing minecraft that I have to go to the lowest render setting.

Where do I stand... If I ring them and tell them that they have left my ram out and they say no they haven't... Where do I go from there? Consumer agency?

I'm not sure tbh. Get back on to them and see what they say, I guess. But if you are getting 8GB it doesn't really matter as you will be removing both chips anyway.

I'm not sure tbh. Get back on to them and see what they say, I guess. But if you are getting 8GB it doesn't really matter as you will be removing both chips anyway.

I know, I thought the same thing...

However if it was on purpose (which I wouldn't think so) , I wouldn't like to think that they were able to get one up on me.

Also I know a few people who would really appreciate the 4GB in their machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

How much is delivery? 4.99 to Ireland it seems.

That is a great price, I need to upgrade this 13" MBP 2.4ghz core 2 duo from 4gb to 8.

It can handle 8 right?

That is a great price, I need to upgrade this 13" MBP 2.4ghz core 2 duo from 4gb to 8.

It can handle 8 right?
    Yup.

Sweet thanks.

I still have 2x2gb of ram still in its packet (didnt install as I got this MBP) and the current 2x2gb of ram which is only 8 ish months old so selling these too will get me some of that money.

Ram has dropped a lot since I last looked.
    I paid 48 pound for 2xgb mid december 2010. So 10 more euro for half the ram and the ram was of lower spec.

Yeah, I paid €90 excluding shipping for a 4GB kit a little over a year ago. Now I can get 8GB for less than half that.

RAM is always going down in price which is why you should wait as long as you can before maxing out your machine.

Apple charge 200 euro for the same ram, I knew the robbed you when you bought extras from them but 200 euro is ridiculous.

Using just safari and colloquy the laptop starts running out of ram (starts writing to disk) unless I keep restarting Safari (never mind when i have to have chrome, safari and FF open along with other things or virtualbox) it will handle them fine mostly but it does get sluggish and virtual machines and safari is trashing my HDD.

Safari is a memory hog. It's even worse on Lion. Ditch it and switch to Chrome.

• Advertisement

Chrome is worse when you watch any type of video or do anything besides text, same with FF this is why I am using Safari as my default as it is the fastest which uses the least amount of memory and it takes a lot more to get the laptop to overheat and make the fans runs faster/louder.

Advertisement