Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish Police Recruitment.

Options
  • 26-08-2011 6:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately missed Strathclyde police recruitment which closed yesterday, so I went through the other forces sites. Lothian and Borders has it on their site that they will reopen their recruitment process on 29th August. The other forces aren't recruiting, though the Northern Constabulary is the only one that says no recruiting for the forseeable future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

It says on the Requirments for the Lothian & Borders police that you should reside 3 years in the UK before you can apply.

Is there a waiver to this? I am a British & Irish Citzen and i am also a Garda Reserve. I lived in scotland for 2 years 2006/2007, Will this stand to the 3 year rule

Hope someone can anser my concerns

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

It says on the Requirments for the Lothian & Borders police that you should reside 3 years in the UK before you can apply.

Is there a waiver to this? I am a British & Irish Citzen and i am also a Garda Reserve. I lived in scotland for 2 years 2006/2007, Will this stand to the 3 year rule

Hope someone can anser my concerns

Thanks

Sorry, never thought as I live in NI. I'm pretty sure you have to have resided in the UK for the last three years, I don't think being British helps unfortunately. The residency requirements is for security checks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭innercitydub2

A guy i work on my unit with knows quite a few guys that got this requirment overlooked when joining the Met.

So hopefuly there may be some waiver to this requirment.

Best of luck anyways with your own apllication :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Interesting announcement today by the Scottish Government - all 8 existing forces there are to be merged to form what will be the second biggest Police Force in the UK ( The Met stays the biggest of course ).

What impact this move will have on recruitment plans remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hey lads,

I know they're recruiting at the minute for Lothian and Borders Police, just a few questions if anyone has any advice or experience with this.

I'm Irish, lived in Ireland all my life, but moving to Edinburgh in the next month or two. Police is something I want to do, it's the career I know I want, but under their eligibility criteria I "must have lived and worked in the UK for 3 years before applying".. I was wondering if there's any way around this at all? It seems a bit brutal considering we're so close. Has anyone had any experience with Lothian and Borders police recruitment? Also, I hold a Full clean Irish Driving License, they require a full manual UK license. Does anybody know if the Irish license is accepted as the equivalent for this?

Any help appreciated..

Thanks

Dave...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Unfortunately you are caught out by the residency requirement and contrary to what some people will try and tell you there really is no way around it.
    All UK forces operate this rule with the only exception being the PSNI which counts residency in the Republic of Ireland as acceptable.
    Sorry if this is not what you were hoping to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hi Delancey,

No problem, thanks for the info, I was expecting that to be the case. Plan is to move to Edinburgh anyway, if the Garda begin recruiting again I'll go for that, otherwise wait until i'm eligible for Lothian and Borders, I'm 23 so 26/27 isn't a bad age to be applying anyway, more life experience and that!

Thanks for the reply!

Dave

Advertisement