Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Games Development - PC requirements/ books/ software etc.

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just been offered a place on the CW208 as a mature student and am bricking it! I don't have any real programming experience and noticed that a lot of the posters, on the threads I've read so far, seemed to have a good bit of experience before starting the course. Being away from education for so long - in mid 30's - I'm beginning to wonder about the whole thing! (Especially after looking at Ken Power's website on 3D graphics with the sample exam questions - holy f...!):eek:

But if I get the courage to go ahead, I was wondering about what PC specs you'd recommend for the course. Mine is an antique, back in Pentium 4 land with an AGP graphics card! I have a 4 year old Dell XPS laptop with a dual core processor which might get me out for first year, but was presuming I'd need a pretty good system for the 3D Graphics etc. later on in the course. Also, are there any software requirements, books etc. that will be needed for first year. Money's a bit tight and want to try and budget for every instance. As Microsoft sponsor the course, are there any special deals available e.g. free xboxes:)

Final question, what are the hours like, is it solid 9-6 days with an hour for lunch etc. or are there breaks to recharge the batteries!:)

Thanks for your kind attention.;)
    Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

bheart65 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Hi Tom :)

Just been offered a place on the CW208 as a mature student and am bricking it! I don't have any real programming experience and noticed that a lot of the posters, on the threads I've read so far, seemed to have a good bit of experience before starting the course. Being away from education for so long - in mid 30's - I'm beginning to wonder about the whole thing! (Especially after looking at Ken Power's website on 3D graphics with the sample exam questions - holy f...!):eek:

First off, Congrats! I did the games course (completed it too, go me!) and I had absolutely no previous programming knowledge. I knew how to use computers alright and may have read a little on HTML but no proper code. But they are very patient in first year and they walk you through the basics. Its generally assumed you can't program on this course (otherwise it'd be pointless doing it :) ). So everything you'll need to know, you will be shown and taught. Even how to do Ken Power's questions :)
    But if I get the courage to go ahead, I was wondering about what PC specs you'd recommend for the course. Mine is an antique, back in Pentium 4 land with an AGP graphics card! I have a 4 year old Dell XPS laptop with a dual core processor which might get me out for first year, but was presuming I'd need a pretty good system for the 3D Graphics etc. later on in the course. Also, are there any software requirements, books etc. that will be needed for first year. Money's a bit tight and want to try and budget for every instance. As Microsoft sponsor the course, are there any special deals available e.g. free xboxes:)

Well for the most part, you can use the college machines to do what work you need. The simple stuff you'll be doing in first year won't be that demanding on your machine as you'll be writing small programs, nothing too strenuous for your machine. I'd wait until 2nd year to possibly invest in a decent machine (gives you time to save too). All the 3D graphics happens in 2nd Year up so you should be fine. There was only two books we were ever asked to get, and one had about 25 copies of it in the library. The other was C++ coding and again, not sought until 2nd year. Most of the course will either give you notes physically or through the college's "blackboard" system.

And from my recollection there is a gaming library you can "rent" games from organised by Peter Lowe, one of your future lecturers. Its a great resource!
    Final question, what are the hours like, is it solid 9-6 days with an hour for lunch etc. or are there breaks to recharge the batteries!:)

Thanks for your kind attention.;)
    Tom.

First year isn't too bad, you'll usually be on the go from 9 till 5 with maybe 2 or 3 hours off a day. It gets slightly more intense after that but as long as you attend you classes you should have no problem. As a mature student I don't expect you to fall into the same traps I did but if you DO happen to move down to a house filled with strangers and one of your housemates turns out to be a model, don't be tempted to stay at home!!!! go to class!! :)

Def go for this, its a great course and I'd love to go back and do it all again!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

Hi RedXIV,

Jeez, thanks a million for the very prompt and informative reply.
    Well that sounds like a ringing endorsement! It's good to know I won't be expected to buy 5 or 6 books a year and that I have the slimmest of chances of actually passing the course!

I might be mature in years but not in any other area! Lying in bed all day with a model is most guys idea of Nirvana (at any age)! Can't say I would've blamed you. Besides it all worked out in the end, you passed the course and you got to live the dream!

I think you've convinced me.:D

Thanks again and best of luck in your future career, be it Senior Programmer or Lothario!

(Maybe, you've already combined both, programmer for Playboy Mansions, perhaps?);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I passed but by the skin of my teeth! Through pure stubborness! It was my own fault, I acted the maggot for the first 3 months of third year and spent the rest of the four years catching up. Don't make that mistake :) at least show up to class even if you are not really paying attention :)

The only other thing worth mentioning is that the games industry in ireland is very much based on casual and mobile gaming, so if you're planning to stay here, concentrate on the modules that teach you these skills. networking and mobile development are very useful. At least if you want to stay in ireland, otherwise you'll end up like me, trying your damn-est to get back into games after jumping into the first job that came your way.

(if you hear of an opening at playboy mansion, send it over :D)

Thanks again RedXIV,

I'll probably have to stay in Ireland due to family commitments etc., even though, the politics of this country - screw the working man and reward the fatcats - really pees me off. I might be able to stretch to the UK but not sure yet, so I'll take your advice to heart and make sure I'm paying attention to those two modules. I'm not in this for huge money or the coveted title of Senior Programmer. These days, I'd count myself lucky to find a job and tech seems to be the way to go, that's why I chose this course.

I'm sure you'll find your way back through the fog into the area you want. If not, I hear Hugh Hefner is looking for a replacement fiancé - do you look good in drag?:)

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Rememebr you can always do Software Development with your qualification.

• Advertisement

Hi Realist,

Yeah that's why I like it, it's backward compatible! You have the full range of options available at course end. Exactly what's needed in the current climate! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Sorry to interrupt bheart65 but I was looking to apply for this course in sept 2012 as a mature student. Can you tell me what the interview was like and how much your leavin cert mattered? I ask because my maths at leaving cert wasn't great. I went from leaving cert straight into work in a warehouse but my free time revolves around gaming/computers. Do you think I have a chance or can you tell me what your experience of the application process was like?
    Any help would be great.
    Bed

Hi RedXIV,

Jeez, thanks a million for the very prompt and informative reply.
    Well that sounds like a ringing endorsement! It's good to know I won't be expected to buy 5 or 6 books a year and that I have the slimmest of chances of actually passing the course!

I might be mature in years but not in any other area! Lying in bed all day with a model is most guys idea of Nirvana (at any age)! Can't say I would've blamed you. Besides it all worked out in the end, you passed the course and you got to live the dream!

I think you've convinced me.:D

Thanks again and best of luck in your future career, be it Senior Programmer or Lothario!

(Maybe, you've already combined both, programmer for Playboy Mansions, perhaps?);)

Advertisement