Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthems and cricket

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Polite question, motivated in part by yet another pseudo controversy in the letters pages of the Irish Times: are national or any other sort of anthems played before international cricket matches, whether one-day or tests?

And what is the Irish one if they are?

Or is it the case that perhaps because of supranational teams like the West Indies there is no tradition of playing an anthem before or after a game?

Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Polite question, motivated in part by yet another pseudo controversy in the letters pages of the Irish Times: are national or any other sort of anthems played before international cricket matches, whether one-day or tests?

And what is the Irish one if they are?

Or is it the case that perhaps because of supranational teams like the West Indies there is no tradition of playing an anthem before or after a game?

Just curious.

They are played, bit random as to when they are played or not. A lot of Australian home test series over the years have played the anthem before games, some Ashes games in England play them. During the World Cup they had anthems before games, and the Windies have some made up song or another. Ireland had Irelands Call I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

At the world cup Ireland had Ireland Call played. Outside of the world cup I dont think they really play anthems. Certainly I cant reacall the last time I heard one outside an ICC tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

D3PO wrote: »
    At the world cup Ireland had Ireland Call played. Outside of the world cup I dont think they really play anthems. Certainly I cant reacall the last time I heard one outside an ICC tournament

They played them in the last ashes series in Australia, but of course the ashes are slightly different to most tours. In most test series you don't hear them.

Advertisement