Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing Deceased Mothers Birthparents

Options
  • 25-08-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am not sure this fits here, mods move if you feel it fits better in another forum.

For years my mother tried to trace her birth parents. Legislation was different then and she really got nowhere. Unfortunately my Mother passed on but I would really like to find her BM if possible. I am aware time is against me but I feel even if I got a name it would be something.

The trouble is I really don't know where to start. She was an only child so the relatives route is out. Basically, all I have is her birthcert post adoption with the address of her adoptive parents. No adoption documents survive so I don't know even the agency that was used. I am totally stumped. I would be grateful if anyone could help or am my chasing a lost cause?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi dubbegoode,

I presume the cert you have is the adoption cert. Do you know anything about your mothers non identifying information, eg her birth name, her mothers birth first name etc. You say no adoption docs survived, do you mean that you have none or that youve contacted the adoption authority to find out? It would really depend on what you know as to what your next step would be.

If you dont know what agency was involved I'd say contact the adoption authority. You can email them with the info you have and ask them if they can help you with any info. If you can get her birth first name, her bm's first name and if possible, which hospital she was born in and then you can use the trace guides to find her original birth cert which will give you her birth mothers full name.

The Adoption Authority of Ireland
    Shelbourne House, Shelbourne Road , Dublin 4.
    Main Switchboard: 01-2309300
    Main Fax: 01- 6671438
    Duty Social Worker: 01-2309306 (Social Work Counselling Calls Only)
    E-mail: info@aai.gov.ieThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
    Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 9.30am to 12.30pm and 2.15pm to 4.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dubbegoode

Thanks Tyview,

I went through the Adoption authority as you suggested, who were very prompt with their response. Unfortunately my it looks like my mother was adopted directly. The paperwork I have is a birth cert which appears to be an illegal birth registration performed by her adoptive parents.

So I have hit a blind alley. I need to think if there is another way

Advertisement