Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England

Options
  • 25-08-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching the game? Dont have sky sports and more and dont understand the game enough to get the text commentary ....

just wondering how we are doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Just following the text updates on BBC myself but we started very well before the rain interrupted play. Since then Trott and Morgan have struck up a decent partnership. England are currently 122-2 after 27 overs. And its now a 42 over game

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

We really need to break this partnership, Morgan and Trott are getting a bit of momentum. I think if a wicket doesn't come, the run rate will keep creeping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

And Morgan is out! Good man Stirling, decent catch, had to go behind Trott.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bopara and Stokes out now too.

With any luck we can keep the scoring rate down for the last few overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

201-8 after the allotted overs (revised to 42)

• Advertisement

Stirling out already, six followed two balls later by slog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Dodgy start for the Irish in the batting 17/1 after 3.2 overs. Rain threatening though!

They can use Duckworth-Lewis in this game right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

They can use Duckworth-Lewis in this game right?

Yup, they can and they have!

Those early wickets will really hurt us so.

Edit: play stopped 13 overs, we need 20 overs for a results, for Ireland to win at 20 overs (possibly not exact, I got these figures form an online app) 76-2, 86-3, 99-4, 115-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Yup, they can and they have!
    No they have not.

They simply reduced England's overs, no DLM as of when you posted or as of yet. It may happen but only if play doesn't start before 5.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

DLM only enforced as of now i.e. after 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

from the BBC:

We're going to start at 5.20pm apparently. Ireland target 129 from 23 overs. That means 87 off 10. Don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

71-4, all up to Kevin O'Brien. While eveyone is giving out about a weak England team its not going to do Ireland case anygood if they lose today.

71-5!!

75/5, need 54 from 35, all up to KOB

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

And D/L f***s Ireland again against England, we were 42/2 needing less than 5.50 for the over and we come out and need to go at 8.7/8,

I know we had wickets in hand but to come out and just switch on and go at near 9's is hard for any team,

overall it was a very messy game, at 42/2 I thought it was near identical to where England were at the same stage and a good game was on but the weather and d/l wins again,

not going give out about the batting, we were identical before the big delay and I thought we had it to win before the big bad weather :(...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

D/L actually favoured Ireland - since it reduced the number of overs per bowler - which meant that England couldn't bowl their 2 opening bowlers. A run rate of 8 or 9 for 10 overs shouldn't have been a problem against what was left in Englands bowling attack. Only KOB got a good ball - the others got themselves out.

Plates wrote: »
    Cremated wrote: »
    And D/L f***s Ireland again against EnglandQUOTE]

D/L actually favoured Ireland - since it reduced the number of overs per bowler - which meant that England couldn't bowl their 2 opening bowlers. A run rate of 8 or 9 for 10 overs shouldn't have been a problem against what was left in Englands bowling attack. Only KOB got a good ball - the others got themselves out.

Well I just think Ireland chasing 5.50 to the over for a longer period suits us better than having to go out and blast at 9's, I do see what you mean, just a pity we couldn't have got the full game,

btw does anyone know when our next ODI against a full team is?...

I don't think a run rate above 8 could ever suit Ireland, we are not that kind of team

None organised according to Cricinfo

• Advertisement

It would make sense to encourage any teams touring England to play a series against us with a four day game at the end or something like that,

I do enjoy these ODI's like today but they happen so rarely :(...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Yeah they got out because they were chasing boundaries :rolleyes:

I would think that any team offered the choice between what Ireland had to do and what England had to do would choose England every day of the week, particularly on a sticky wicket.

Having said that, Ireland really could have won it, if Mooney's shot had a couple of extra yards on it and went for 6 instead of being caught we would have been right in it. England probably deserved it in the end, Morgan's knock was the difference in the end up.

Also very surprised Mooney and Rankin didn't bowl their full allocation. Mooney's bowling in particular looked very good.

It would make sense to encourage any teams touring England to play a series against us with a four day game at the end or something like that,

I do enjoy these ODI's like today but they happen so rarely :(...

Nobody actually wants to play us though :( Can anyone think of a way to make us a more appealing fixture destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Not sure if Canada are a full team in your eyes, but I saw billboards yesterday at the game that were promoting two ODIs against Canada at Clontarf on the 19th/20th September. (Monday/Tuesday).

Very impressed by the setup yesterday at Clontarf, kudos to the organisers for that. Unfortunately those sat at the top of the ground (by the old scoreboard) had a constant stream of spectators walking in front of them to reach their seats, and incessant bundle of kids with minature bats screaming at fielders for autographs. Stands J & K could be moved forward so that the front row is by the pitch and spectators walk behind the stands. Kids looking for autographs should be directed somewhere away from the playing area, or at least understand the people behind them are there to watch a match. Enthusiasm is great and must be encouraged, but a group of ten or so stood in front of me yesterday for a good while when it was blatantly obvious that Kevin O'Brien had no interest whatsoever in signing autographs during play.

Advertisement