Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a staircase inside the Wellington Monument in the Phoenix Park?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I think I remember a door when I was child. Is there a staircase to the top?

Is it somehow connected to the railway underneath the park?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How is this a conspiracy theory? You'd be better off asking in the Dublin Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I guess it's not really a conspiracy thoery, but there is the whole Mysterious Obilisk thing, so I thought someone might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

but there is the whole Mysterious Obilisk thing
    mmmm...yes the whole 3 day ban thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

from wikipedia

A Dublin legend suggests that a fund-raising dinner was held in the vault under the pillar in 1820, after which the vault was sealed up, leaving the dining tables and chairs behind. Several weeks later it was noticed that a butler had not been seen since the dinner, and it was assumed that he had drunk too much wine and remained unconscious and unnoticed behind a screen while the room was being sealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

phill106 wrote: »
    from wikipedia

A Dublin legend suggests that a fund-raising dinner was held in the vault under the pillar in 1820, after which the vault was sealed up, leaving the dining tables and chairs behind. Several weeks later it was noticed that a butler had not been seen since the dinner, and it was assumed that he had drunk too much wine and remained unconscious and unnoticed behind a screen while the room was being sealed.

"Well" that was a "monumental" fückup. Guess he got the world's largest headstone.

Always despised that ugly cenotaph anyway. It should be dynamited and let the lovely Fionn Uisce deer roam around there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah here now, theres many more Eyesores to be dynamited before that one ;)

I always loved the legend about the top of it.

apparently it was supposed to be about 5M taller as a monument to one of Irelands greatest Military commanders, howevber around that stage in construction someone asked Wellington about his Irish Heritage and he responded

'Just because one is Born in a Stable it does not make one a Horse'

the Construction was abrubtly halted at that point :D:D:D:D

Advertisement