Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice.

• 25-08-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I've an '07 Galaxy tdci 1.8 ghia, 63k. Got it serviced by a ford dealer 2 weeks before the nct, travelled 970 miles in those 2 weeks (short trip to the uk) arrive for nct 3 days ago & failed on over filled with oil, so unable to preform emissions test etc. Called ford service girl said that they would get back to me, noththing yet. I did notice black smoke when reversing on trip, got a local ford garage close to the nct center to remove the overfill of oil. charged e20.

Any advice appreciated. G

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

What's the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Them dipsticks can be awkward to read. If you put in the dip stick down maybe an inch from fully in and then pull it back out. The top of it just above the full mark will get oil on it while the reading part wont get anything on it. Hard to put in better words.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Sorry, should i ask the ford dealer to check the car over or pay for the retest at least? could there be any lasting damage?

thanks plug, will have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Black smoke is just diesel burning, blue smoke is oil.

Don't they say to let an engine cool down a bit before checking or topping up oil? Was your engine hot when they checked it? This nearly always leads to an "over" reading.

I don't know how you drove 970 miles and didn't use more oil. It must have been over-over filled to begin with.

With that said, nearly all cars' engines are hot when being tested and I've never heard anyone failing on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

The engine was cold, as i was in work that morning & parked it in aldi across the road from the nct center the night before. So i could arrive down from work & drive it the 500yds across. My concern is to what level was the service done for my euro or possible damage caused? Is oil overfill an easy enough mistake or poor service?

thanks for the replies so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The norm when adding oil is to put in a small bit at a time and check the dip stick each time. It's easier to add some than drain it out.

If i were you, I'd bring it back to the dealer and get them to drain the oil and refill it properly this time at their expense. If you get that out of them you'll be doing well.

Pay for the retest yourself and leave it at that.

Advertisement