Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth mental health

Options
  • 25-08-2011 11:36am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone here works in this field, and if so, how do you find it? I don't think I'd like to be 15 today. There's a pervasiveness and perhaps a nastiness to some of the pressures that young people are under that's more intense (imo) than there was when I was a teenager (a decade ago). The sheer volume of media images they're presented with, the sexualisation of youth, the role of the web, social networks, technology and so forth...trying not to sound like the Daily Mail. :pac: Above all, though, I think the main thing is that they may not have a voice, but perhaps this has always been the case. They're preached at, pathologised, assumptions are made about them, you get the cranky wrinkly on Sky News with the 'in my day, we had it hard, innit, we didn't argue with our parents at the dinner table, RESPECT, plz' and so on. So, how does this tie into mental health? Well, I'm not sure, really. It certainly seems to be in the headlines a fair bit - stats, campaigns, projects, etc.

So for those working in the field, what issues are you facing? Have you noticed things changing over the last number of years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zombiekyd

This is a very interesting question.
    I am 17 and I'm disgusted of how company's use provocative ways to advertise their products.

Yesterday, in an certain newsagent. I've seen Coke-cola stickers placed on the tiled floor and on the walls of the room. I found the image discouraging since it was an image of a (somewhat) muscular adolescent man and a slim adolescent woman. They looked so happy with their pearly whites and their glass bottles of coke . (Hypocritical since the stuff rots your teeth. :P )

Atm, I'm on anti-depressants and Because it was an image of a couple, it made me feel even more depressed. It's a shame there's really nobody we can file a complaint. Since this sort of thing is everywhere. Film's, books, music... :(

Advertisement