Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of the collection - 2 in and a modification

Options
  • 25-08-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭

After a long period searching and a few deals that didnt come off, ive finally got my summer transfer business done before the window closes :D

Some of you will remember that i was expecting an iwc flieger chrono and a breitling aerospace from watchfinder, unfortunately they discovered an issue with the IWC before despatching it so i called the whole deal off. this is the result :D

I was looking for a decent beater, and when this tag aquaracer quartz came up on the TZ-UK SC i jumped on it, it came with the rubber which wasnt for me, so i sold the rubber and purchased a bracelet. Very well made, chunky piece and a perfect 'smart' beater. some very nice detail on the dial, its almost 3d the markers are so thick. Also previous owner had removed the cyclops which i think looks better.

20110806_143116.jpg
    P1030357.jpg

Next up is a watch that i have admired for a long time, im a breitling fan, but dont like the shinier pieces, so the mostly brushed blackbird is very desirable to me. Did a deal with a TZ-uk member who answered a wtb and he sold me his BB that he owned from new. Watch is in lovely condition and boxed with everything

really happy with this one, it was sent over on a black breitling calf strap, but i just love the bracelet, fiddly bugger to resize mind :shock: so it will sit on the bracelet for now, with the leather coming out if i fancy a change.

P1030350.jpg
    P1030351.jpg
    P1030352.jpg
    P1030353.jpg

Finally, i had been mulling over brushing the PCLs on my GMT2c for months and i finally decided to go for it, delighted with how it has turned out, the micro scratches on the PCLs used to bother me, and no matter how careful i was it was impossible not to mark them. A guy on tz-uk did this work for me to a very high standard. Anyone who wants a watch refinished he is the guy to go to :)

P1030369.jpg
    P1030368.jpg
    P1030375.jpg
    P1030373.jpg

and finally, everyone together, with my portuguese and a G shock :)

P1030379.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Nice collection. The GMT looks very smart. That IWC is the dogs b*llocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Like the new additions Niall. That Tag looks so much better without the cyclops. The one I had also had the cyclops removed. Really don't know why they put it on there, the date font is quite large and doesn't require magnification in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very nice additions. Nice display box too. You know what the GShock doesn't look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus, what do you define a "beater" as? I thought it meant a watch for everyday use that you don't care if it gets scratched or lost, but a watch that must come in at around 2K doesn't sound like that to me.

Very nice collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

A very nice, rounded collection; well done. Did Gingerboy do the GMT bracelet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Eoin wrote: »
    Cyrus, what do you define a "beater" as? I thought it meant a watch for everyday use that you don't care if it gets scratched or lost, but a watch that must come in at around 2K doesn't sound like that to me.

Very nice collection.

hi eoin

sorry that probably sounded a little flippant, im very easy on my watches and would take any watch off before doing anything that could lead to damage.

when i say beater i more meant something id take on holiday or something, a watch that i wouldnt be as worried about being stolen.

and while the tag aquaracer is circa 2k retail, i didnt pay anything like that for mine pre owned :)

A very nice, rounded collection; well done. Did Gingerboy do the GMT bracelet?

he sure did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Not normally a fan of Breits but The Blackbird is very very nice. Couple for sale on WUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi eoin

sorry that probably sounded a little flippant, im very easy on my watches and would take any watch off before doing anything that could lead to damage.

when i say beater i more meant something id take on holiday or something, a watch that i wouldnt be as worried about being stolen.

and while the tag aquaracer is circa 2k retail, i didnt pay anything like that for mine pre owned :)

Gotcha - wasn't too sure of the terminology more than anything else; this is the first time in my life I've owned more than one working watch at the one time, so all these words are new to me!

Like I said, nice collection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    this is the first time in my life I've owned more than one working watch at the one time, so all these words are new to me!
    Oh E *shakes head* you poor poor soul, this will not last long. Do NOT under any circumstances read any thread Peasant starts, because the madness will grow there. :D

I love that IWC C. Eye drawn to it right away. And Bullseye's right, the G-Shock doesn't look outa place. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Fantastic collection Cyrus, I'm disappointed you don't have more link cufflinks though :p!

Zagato wrote: »
    Fantastic collection Cyrus, I'm disappointed you don't have more link cufflinks though :p!
    Switched to button cuffs :) find french cuffs uncomfortable with most of my watches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Switched to button cuffs :) find french cuffs uncomfortable with most of my watches!

What I meant (and I'm teasing, but may help with the issue that you have) i that your cufflinks (that I can see) all have a bar, rather than a chain link, which might improve the comfort with your watches, as it adds a bit of freedom.

Zagato wrote: »

What I meant (and I'm teasing, but may help with the issue that you have) i that your cufflinks (that I can see) all have a bar, rather than a chain link, which might improve the comfort with your watches, as it adds a bit of freedom.
    OH no I got what you were saying :) had a few pairs but they are hard to get nice ones
    Anyone got nice chain ones??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Really lovely collection Cyrus - very well chosen.

The cuff links - I refuse to wear bar links much preferring chains but nice ones are hard to get these days.

Best options, but you of course pay a premium for them, is antique I find. I think due to the style of heavy starching dress cuffs in the 18th century the chains tend to be longer for a start, and the cuff links overall more simple and elegant. The longer chains really help with the bigger watches.

Advertisement