Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 7.4v Li-Po Battery in a TM MP7?

Options
  • 25-08-2011 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭

Would like to know if there are any issues using a 7.4v Li-Po Battery in a TM MP7?

Plus here is a video of the battery type in mind: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgqEujDZ3Fw&feature=related

Also does anyone know where I can get some of these types of Li-Po's from?

I've already contacted the person who uploaded the video & am waiting for a reply, in the mean time any info & help with this would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

I'm not sure how helpful this'll be but I found this thread a little while ago when I was considering getting the WELL MP7 and doing a few mods. Hope it might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

Cheers for that, I've seen that persons follow up on this project & that's my backup plan as it involves opening up the MP7 which I don't really want to do at this stage

Hopefully I'll find out where to get that battery & if it's okay to use

Many thanks for the help mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

You can use 7.4v lipos on theTM Mp7 with no problems.:)

I ordered some to fit mine, but the manufacturer seemed to get there dimensions slightly wrong, so they wouldn't fit in the MP7.:(

At the moment mine is running on a lipo in a PEQ 15 battery box.
    They are 7.4v 900mah and 15c.

I am happy enough with the performance.

CpcRc wrote: »
    I'm not sure how helpful this'll be but I found this thread a little while ago when I was considering getting the WELL MP7 and doing a few mods. Hope it might help you.

This is helpful indeed, many thanks :) & here is the backup plan: http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Tm-Smg-Lipo-Mosfetand3-t124451.html
    Rooky1 wrote: »
    You can use 7.4v lipos on theTM Mp7 with no problems.:)

I ordered some to fit mine, but the manufacturer seemed to get there dimensions slightly wrong, so they wouldn't fit in the MP7.:(

At the moment mine is running on a lipo in a PEQ 15 battery box.
    They are 7.4v 900mah and 15c.

I am happy enough with the performance.

Cheers for the help & would you please post some pics of your setup, also where did you get those batteries from?

I'd really like to get a Li-Po that has the original plug type & fits in to the battery space within the MP7

Also does anyone know what the plug type in the attached pics are called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭CpcRc

Also does anyone know what the plug type in the attached pics are called?

I think that those connectors are the special connectors only for AEP batteries and don't actually have a name. But I'm pretty sure that you're able to buy an AEP connector to regular leads convertor for AEPs like this one. I think that you can also just solder on new leads to the plates if you know which one is which and you're handy at soldering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

the connection is a unique design from TM

You would have to sacrifice a standard TM MP7 Battery and solder the connector onto your lipo battery.

I use one of the battery converters to connect to the battery in the PEQ box.

CpcRc wrote: »
    I think that those connectors are the special connectors only for AEP batteries and don't actually have a name. But I'm pretty sure that you're able to buy an AEP connector to regular leads convertor for AEPs like this one. I think that you can also just solder on new leads to the plates if you know which one is which and you're handy at soldering.

Much food for thought here, looks like I'll be breaking out the toolbox :)
    Puding wrote: »
    the connection is a unique design from TM

Lovely :rolleyes: & is there some where I could buy just the plug head on its own?
    You would have to sacrifice a standard TM MP7 Battery and solder the connector onto your lipo battery.

I use one of the battery converters to connect to the battery in the PEQ box.

Toolbox, Dremel & solder it is then. Wonder if the person who made the above video done the same

Ordered a couple of thoses Tenergy batteries, so will give them a go when they arrive.:)

Ordered a couple of thoses Tenergy batteries, so will give them a go when they arrive.:)

Nice one & where are you getting them from if you don't mind me asking? :)

• Advertisement

Nice one & where are you getting them from if you don't mind me asking? :)

Good old eBay!

Good old eBay!

Classic, cheers mate & think I'll take a look on there now ;)

Good old eBay!

Classic, cheers mate & think I'll take a look on there now ;)

Just searched for Tenergy 7.4v 900mah 25c and there they are!
    A company called All-Battery.

Funny enough I was placing an order with them through there website, but they wanted $78 dollars for the shipping!!!

Much cheaper shipping from the same company through there eBay shop.

Just searched for Tenergy 7.4v 900mah 25c and there they are!
    A company called All-Battery.

Funny enough I was placing an order with them through there website, but they wanted $78 dollars for the shipping!!!

Much cheaper shipping from the same company through there eBay shop.

Found them & they all have a plug I've not seen for awhile, are you planning to change them or am I looking at the wrong listing?

They all seem to have that JST plug on them.
    That is what I ordered.

I will be changing them. I will wait until they arrive and see how much room I have with them before I decide what to use on them.

I might bypass the original connection system and attach a new battery lead using G&P mini T plugs to allow me to change the battery.

I don't really want to buy original batteries and cut them apart for the original connector.

They all seem to have that JST plug on them.
    That is what I ordered.

I will be changing them. I will wait until they arrive and see how much room I have with them before I decide what to use on them.

I might bypass the original connection system and attach a new battery lead using G&P mini T plugs to allow me to change the battery.

I don't really want to buy original batteries and cut them apart for the original connector.

Just what I had in mind, not much point buying two sets of batteries & cutting some of them up to use the rest

I'll wait until you give this a go & see how it work's out, would you mind replying back after you've done the business?

Much appreciated mate :D

Just what I had in mind, not much point buying two sets of batteries & cutting some of them up to use the rest

I'll wait until you give this a go & see how it work's out, would you mind replying back after you've done the business?

Much appreciated mate :D

No bother at all mate.
    The batteries were shipped today, so I will give you a shout when I finish the alterations.;)

Finally got around to doing that lipo job to the MP7.:)
    No photos as I was very pushed for time.

The MP7 is firing at 307fps with .2's and has ROF of 14.5 bb's per second. This has great range for the size of the barrel and the hop works a treat.
    I have upgraded it with a PDI 6.01 tightbore, 130% spring and aluminium piston. (I want to replace the nylon bushings for metal ones. None in stock when I ordered the other bits)

Links below for the bits used.

Link for inner barrel; http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/pdi-01-6-01mm-precision-barrel-for-marui-mp7a1-aeg-182mm.html

Spring and Piston; http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/mag-mp7-upgrade-piston-w-130-spring.html

Battery; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290580923250#ht_1337wt_754

JST leads; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-Male-Female-Lead-Set-UK-SELLER-x5-Pairs-/200451671795?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2eabd9c6f3#ht_3145wt_1115

Originally I cut up my standard battery and soldered a JST lead to the plug that came off the original battery. An adapter lead basically.
    This worked perfectly but I didn't like the way it sat in the MP7. I wanted a permanent lead in place.

Stripping the gearbox, barrel, hop unit, stock etc are easy on the MP7. But taking out the whole electrical block (switch, selector, fuse, battery connector, etc) is a right pain and a bit fiddly.

You need to remove the false safety lever, the trigger, selector switch and the ejection port cover. The whole electrical block will then slide out the rear of the MP7. It isn't a difficult job, but it is fiddly.

I could find plenty of info online about stripping the MP7 and its gearbox, but nothing about removing the electrics.

Anyway as you look at the electrical unit from the front, the positive is on the left and the negative is on the right. I soldered the JST female and lead to the plates behind where the original battery would have plugged in.

Put everything back together and the little lipo pack fits in perfectly.

All in all it took about 90 minutes to complete.

Again sorry for the absence of pictures but as I mentioned I didn't have a lot of time and wanted to get the job completed.:)

Sweet job there & much appreciated mate, me thinks I'll be doing the same as its a cost effective solution Vs. cutting up batteries

Many thanks Rooky :D

Sweet job there & much appreciated mate, me thinks I'll be doing the same as its a cost effective solution Vs. cutting up batteries

Many thanks Rooky :D

No bother mate. Hope it is some help.

• Advertisement

No bother mate. Hope it is some help.

Like yourself I'm stuck for time so it is a big help & if that MP7 you just agreed to buy does not take your fancy just let me know mate

Like yourself I'm stuck for time so it is a big help & if that MP7 you just agreed to buy does not take your fancy just let me know mate

Will do mate.
    That one is for a project or spare parts.:)
    Should have bought the other one as well!!:rolleyes:

Will do mate.
    That one is for a project or spare parts.:)
    Should have bought the other one as well!!:rolleyes:

That's what I have in mind too, also if it works out I may request a favour from your good self if you don't mind that is :)

No bother at all, give me a shout whenever.
    If I can help I will.:)

No bother at all, give me a shout whenever.
    If I can help I will.:)

That's much appreciated as always Rooky :D

Advertisement