Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to go on Stag?

Options
  • 24-08-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Need some help, I can't decide where to go on Stag, i want to do something different to the norm without it costing a bomb for everyone involved, it's early stages yet but planning it for Paddies weekend next year.

Abroad or at home? Although you might think at home would be cheaper, 3 out of a possible 12 going are in London anyway, 1 is in US, 1 in Canada and 1 in Australia(yes all victims of the recent recession)

Head is wrecked!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

How about Germany? Great beer, cheap food and bars are open all night. I have been to Paddy's day parades in both Cologne and Munich and had a great craic. There is nothing funnier on the planet than a couple of thousand Germans Irish dancing :D Plus locals go Irish mad so any single lads will be well catered for by liberal German girls.

Other benefits include plenty of regulated strip clubs for a bit of stag do sleaze and there are lots of opportunities for stag entertainment like go carts, paint ball etc.

Flights are cheap enough, hotels can be cheap around €80 for two sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Germany is cheap and cheerful.

Good, cheap beer and great places to go out. Plus, plenty of flights that if you book long enough in advance, should be cheap enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

krissovo wrote: »
    How about Germany? Great beer, cheap food and bars are open all night. I have been to Paddy's day parades in both Cologne and Munich and had a great craic. There is nothing funnier on the planet than a couple of thousand Germans Irish dancing :D Plus locals go Irish mad so any single lads will be well catered for by liberal German girls.

Other benefits include plenty of regulated strip clubs for a bit of stag do sleaze and there are lots of opportunities for stag entertainment like go carts, paint ball etc.

Flights are cheap enough, hotels can be cheap around €80 for two sharing

Was going to say Germany as well but id advise you pick Dusseldorf. Have been there 4 times and its just some craic. Pretty cheap to get there as well.

Best place ive drank in Europe for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Germany all the way. Going to Cologne for my own stag in February. I wouldn't recommend Berlin though. I went on a stag there last year and while it was great craic overall the night life was a bit of let down due to all the good 'Stag' places being so spread out. You should look into the beer bike as well, they operate in most big German cities? It was highlight of the weekend for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Looks like the consensus is Germany. :D

Are we biased?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Germany all the way. Going to Cologne for my own stag in February. I wouldn't recommend Berlin though. I went on a stag there last year and while it was great craic overall the night life was a bit of let down due to all the good 'Stag' places being so spread out. You should look into the beer bike as well, they operate in most big German cities? It was highlight of the weekend for us!

Thanks for that beer bike link. We have a stag in Dusseldorf this Oct and ive been getting abuse for not wanting to organise an activity. This will do perfect. :D

By the way i was in Cologne a few months ago and beware a lot of the clubs/ late bars can be tough to get into after 11. Maybe it was down to the fact we were drunk and not dressed up but we couldn't get in anywhere bar an Irish bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CucaFace wrote: »
    By the way i was in Cologne a few months ago and beware a lot of the clubs/ late bars can be tough to get into after 11. Maybe it was down to the fact we were drunk and not dressed up but we couldn't get in anywhere bar an Irish bar.

Luckily we are going during Carnival so I would imagine its going to be a free for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Thanks for the replies guys, I am likely to be flying out of Cork though so that may make Germany a little harder....................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

+1 on Germany.Have been to Cologne and Munich both of them have everything you want for a Stag and aren't too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

Vegas

Failing that, the Dam

or Prague

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Went to a stag in Bristol last weekend and its a great spot.Wasnt expecting much but it is quality.Plenty of good bars/clubs and all are within walking distance of each other.Prices for food and drink are very reasonable and the locals were sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mudderagod

I don't really know what you mean by "different to the norm", but I've been on a good few stags away and Newcastle was my definite favourite. Its a crazy place with friendly people and plenty of fun to be had, reasonable prices and early houses, but all the stags Ive been on have been very much the "norm". Hope you find somewhere good..............

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭event

Been to a number of stags, Newcastle is the standout, been on two there.

Its just bedlam, cheap drink, always packed, women everywhere.

great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭the great purveyor of mediocrity

I had mine in Frankfurt, Germany and it was for all intents and purposes, an absolutely insane, brilliant weekend. 18 of us flew into Hahn for €67 each return from Dublin. Then we all holed up in the four star "Hotel National Frankfurt" for €55 each, really good hotel, no serious complaints. Grand total of €123 for flights and accomodation for two nights, can't beat that.
    We didn't do anything overly cultural. The most culturally sophisticated thing we did was attend a Traditional German restaurant for food and trad cider. Everything else was as you would expect, strip clubs, getting viciously whipped, underground illegal niteclubs, severe loss of memory, buying drinks for anyone who passed within twenty feet of us, waking up back in Ireland with a black lamb standing on me baaing in my face for milk and loads more besides.
    Head for Germany.

Advertisement