Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to bikes

Options
  • 24-08-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I am soon going to buy a bike for training to get fit.

I was advised to get a touring bike which would suit my needs better.

Before I go into a bike shop i would really like to hear some recommendation from some Boards users.

I will be going for leisurely cycles 10-20 miles.

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

codod wrote: »
    Before I go into a bike shop i would really like to hear some recommendation from some Boards users.

Go to a bike shop. If you don't know anything about bikes it's easier to just go to a shop and sit on the different types of bike. The internet won't help you determine if you are or aren't going to be comfortable on the Canyon Ultimate CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 codod

thanks for that. Just wondering what are regarded as the good and reliable bikes. i would like to have some information before i go into the shop so that i can assess if i am being ripped off etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What's your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A touring bike is a good choice if you intend to go touring.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

make sure you get a gel saddle,much more comfortable especially if you are new and are planning 10 mile trips.good luck!

• Advertisement

ethical wrote: »
    make sure you get a gel saddle,much more comfortable especially if you are new and are planning 10 mile trips.good luck!

Gel saddles are often a bad idea, at least for men.

i will be getting it under the Cycle to work scheme. My budget is €1k including accessories. Yeah i find saddles really uncomfortable. is there really such a thing as a comfortable bike saddle!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A proper position on the bike and a pair of padded shorts will go some way to helping that.

Yes, if you intend on cycling for leisure you should just suck it up and buy some lycra.

All the big brands that you will find in shops: Giant, Trek, Dolan, Bianchi, Specialized, etc. make pretty much the same thing at that price point. Go with whatever fits you best and you like the feel of.

Come back here when you have a few options that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A similar discussion about equipment needed when returning or starting to cycle came up recently, and that time I posted this:
    If you want to keep it to a minimum, you can spend relatively little. If you're not planning on initially going very long distances, you could cycle in your normal clothes to begin with, and add accessories over time.

When I started out using the bike as my main mode of transport as an adult (which was a good while ago), I had this set-up:

bike (naturally)
    lights
    two good locks
    puncture repair kit and pump
    change of t-shirt
    raingear

That did me for years. I've added a little to that, but mostly tools for repairs, as I wasn't happy with the speed or thoroughness of the repairs and maintenance I was getting from the bike shops.

I don't do very long distances, unlike many here, but I do get up to 50km a day with something not much more than that initial set-up.

If you're loving it (as you well might), you can add to a basic set-up incrementally, rather than go crazy at the start. You'll know which bits of your initial set-up you find the least satisfactory, so that'll tell you what to buy next.

Your difficulty with the saddle may mean that padded shorts are a good idea.

As for touring bikes, I use one everyday as a commuter. They're versatile bikes -- quite nippy, but also well set-up to carry a lot of stuff. If you don't want to carry a lot of stuff, there are cheaper bikes that would do you just as well. Tourers are quite pricey, since they constitute a niche market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi all,

......you say that now!!

Saddles are very individual. I think Wheelworx (www.wheelworx.ie) have a "try before you buy" thing going where you can take a saddle (having left some money) try it for a week or so before forking over your hard earned cash for the saddle of your choice.

Unless you know you are definitely going to be doing a lot of touring, you might want to reconsider the tourer, especially if you think you are going to push on beyond 20 mile spins in pursuit of fitness. €1k will get you a decent road bike and some good kit to start with.

• Advertisement

Got a La Pierre Shaper 300 in the end. Great bike, been using it loads and even used it for Gaelforce West this year. Cost about €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

I would favour a tourer. They're more practical, more comfortable, more adaptable and more than fast enough for most people's needs.

piston wrote: »
    I would favour a tourer. They're more practical, more comfortable, more adaptable and more than fast enough for most people's needs.

Bit late for that contribution. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi all,

I am soon going to buy a bike for training to get fit.

I was advised to get a touring bike which would suit my needs better.

thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Got a La Pierre Shaper 300 in the end. Great bike, been using it loads and even used it for Gaelforce West this year. Cost about €650.

Is there a sumg smiley for "I told you so"

Well done - sounds like it was a good investment!

Advertisement