Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used car dealers importing from Northern Ireland - who pays the VRT?

Options
  • 24-08-2011 4:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Does someone know what normally happens here when a used car dealer imports cars from Northern Ireland into the Republic of Ireland?

- Does the dealer normally pay the VRT and get license plates for the car?
    - Or is it up to the buyer normally (living in the Rep. Ireland) to go and pay the VRT/register the car himself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A dealer who is registered with Revenue (i.e. they have a TAN number) should do it for you. A cowboy seller will try to sell you the car and leave you to register it.

Given the new regime (register with NCTS, need an NCT etc.), I would not be happy buying a car that was not registered before you complete the deal.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

Thanks for your reply ;) The dealer has a great car in his lot that I deffo have my eye on, but if I have to go through the hassle and paperwork of registering it myself - I'll probably look elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If they're a dealer, definitely let them register it. If they refuse to, I'd certainly suspect there was something bogey going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Vorophobe wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply ;) The dealer has a great car in his lot that I deffo have my eye on, but if I have to go through the hassle and paperwork of registering it myself - I'll probably look elsewhere
    Whatever you do, don't forget to run an HPI check and verify the service history by phone - there are plenty of dodgy imports floating around.

Advertisement