Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slime Mould (was - Can anyone tell me what this is...)

Options
  • 23-08-2011 10:31pm

Hi All..

Just posted this to biology forum but on closer inspection this place might be more suited...

So I was doing the dishes tonight and looked in the garden. I thought to myself... some one has thrown scrambled egg into my garden - but on closer inspection it appears to be something fungal or weirder...

Anyway - I've attached pics, my current inclination is to bleach the patch into next week. The only thing I do to the grass out back is cut it - nothing has ever gone on treatment wise so dont know where this has come from...

Anyone able to wise me up!

http://imgur.com/a/YYgLr

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

I think its a slime mould of some sort, Mucilago sp. maybe .....

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Alien poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Definitely a slime mould.

Well worth a google to read up about it. Neither a fungi or animal but have characteristics of both!

I have many examples of this locally one year a few years back and have rarely seen it since :confused:

Thanks for that.... so..

What can I / should I do about it? Have a child less than 1 year old and I know some moulds can be harmful.

Also - where could it have come from? We don't treat our garden with anything and no waste ever goes out there.

This is not a mould in the sense that we usually think of mould so i don't think they are harmful in that sense but I can understand that 1yo will explore everything and so I'd make it that 1 yo could not get access because I'd like to continue observe. I acknowledge that most are not interested in observing :) and so I advise in physically removing it.

I can only guess why its there just like I could only guess in the year I had them.

• Advertisement

I'll try and fence it off - and I'll run it by the wife if we can leave it there a while.

If there are any dramatic changes - I'll post new pics.

Out of interest - should we want to get rid of it.. what would be the best method?

I'd appreciate updates with pics and I applaud your thoughts on trying to leave it :)

Note what I print here is from my own experience....and what I think I know :) I'm not any authority on them.

I think your situation is a temporary one, meaning couple months or so. I doubt there is any chemical treatment...and with a 1yo and from what you've typed I don't think you'd consider this. To remove, I'd probably cut at ground level with shears and move it to hidden corner. More may well come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

Haven't much of a clue on slime moulds either, but if you're interested in learning more about your strange fungi/beastie there is a whole sub-forum on Wild About Britain devoted to them : http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/myxomycetes/

I had something similar in the garden a few years ago, thought the dog had been sick and hosed it away before realising what it was and wanting photographs! :o

Being part-animal they do move (albeit slowly) and I've a feeling I've seen time-lapse photographs, maybe on YouTube ........

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Probably Mucilago crustacea, completely harmless and usually disappears with a good shower of rain. Its a common species, and is especially common on grasses in limestone grassland.

Advertisement