Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fatter Tyres

Options
  • 23-08-2011 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have a Giant Defy 4, and it is almost perfect for my needs. 3 to 4 road outings per week 20 to 50 K each depending on time available etc. Solo. In my location ( Rural south Meath) the roads are in sh1te condition, so I would like to up-size my tyres. Anybody else have similar experience / advice based on experience. I am currently using the standard 25-622 I would like to go to 30 or 32, The back forks look like no problem, but the front looks pretty tight ??

Speed / performance are NOT my goal, rather endurance / versatility of road conditions.

P.S. Not interested in changing bike at this time. Just wheels / tyres.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

You might get 28 mm tyres onto a Defy, but you won't get 30-32 mm. The wheels should be fine no matter what the roads are like. Also, 25 mm tyres are normally ok for any paved roads, unless you're a bit on the heavy side. Are you just concerned about the 'fragility' of the road bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

As above, 28c will just about fit without rubbing on the brakes, unless it's something like a marathon plus, but any standard road 28c tyre should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Coronal wrote: »
    You might ... unless you're a bit on the heavy side. Are you just concerned about the 'fragility' of the road bike?

Yep. (90+ kg ) plus the bike. We're pushing 100K + around on those 25 mm tyres ... I just think a wider tyre would 'suit me' better. I will talk to my bike-shop guy about it too, but the more i think about it the more I want to change them.

Advertisement